Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/13/2005 5:27:36 PM EDT
So today I am pressing a freinds barrel pin out. Everything goes normal until I get it about a 1/4 in and it stops. I have bent 3 grade 8 bolts and the barrel pin hasnt moved at all.  WTF! I have heard stories of not moving it at all but never coming out like butter to complete stop. So what now. Do I keep trying or do I drill it out? If this was mine I would just keep going and if  I mess up owell I buy a new barrel or new kit. If I drill it out then he has to buy a new barrel pin and then comes the possibility of drilling into the barrel. I guess I need help picking what route to go.

* Well after pressing it back and forth for an hour the pin finally came out. The pin along with the barrel was covered in a bright orange chalky substance. Not rust though. The barrel was just as hard to get out but I only had one option to get it out. Thanks for all the suggestions.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:16:51 PM EDT
[#1]
sounds like maybe it was wider on one end of the pin than the other. might want to try turning it over and pushing it out the other way.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I've yet to encounter a barrel pin that is larger on one end than the other.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:28:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I have.  My 3 Romys tapered .001 in. and I fortunately pushed them out from right (selector side) to left.  
They were so tight the bolts didn't work.  Try cutting a set of push pins from 1/4 in drills.  Start short to avoid buckling.  I got a couple real, real bad cases out with a 6 in. vise, the drill push pins and a 3/8 in socket ground to fit the other side of the trunnion.  Using a piece of pipe on the vise I cranked it down to just short of buckling the push pin, whacked the end of the vise with a hand sledge, crank, whack, crank, whack.  The tighter it is the shorter the pins to avoid buckling and the more of them you'll need.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:26:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So today I am pressing a freinds barrel pin out. Everything goes normal until I get it about a 1/4 in and it stops. I have bent 3 grade 8 bolts and the barrel pin hasnt moved at all.  

I had that happen last week. I ended up pushing it out the other way with my 20 Ton. Dang pin popped like it was breaking every tenth of an inch until it cleared. Pin was galled "sompin feerce" on both sides. Don't think I could've done it without the 1½" press adaptor and short pin I had for the press. Before, I did them with a big vice and cheater pipe and never understood all the fuss about Romy pins.

TheOtherChris
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#5]
1 of 2 thangs happend
the pin in larger at 1 side then the other
if thats is whats wrong you can just puch it out the other way

or the pin bulged in the middle
if this happend you will have to drill and still have 1 hell of a time getting it out
only had this happen once so its vary rare but is possible
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:56:12 AM EDT
[#6]
what kind of A-hole friend would make you do that
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Some times the pin will get galled when you are pressing it out.  No matter what I would try and push it the other way.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:55:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Amazing some of the problems people have getting pins out. I used a punch and a 3 lb sledge to knock my Romy and Pol pins out; not a bit of galling, not a single problem. They've been super easy. I've probably just been lucky -- I hope I never get a pin as hard as these to remove.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:12:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I did about 6 or 8 Romanians before I had a pin that was a son of a bitch.  Before that one all the Romys, AMDs and AK74s all came out with a 2lb hammer and punch.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#10]
OK - if you have that puppy pushed in that much?  Fill the hole with KROIL.  Come back 24 hours later, and push from the opposite side...
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top