Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/13/2005 5:57:17 AM EDT
I have finished my first build and wanted to thank the other posters for all there help. The kit is from DPH Arms. GT 1mm receiver from MaasGuns. G2 fire control group, US pistol grip and slant brake. I finished it with Dupli-Color 1200 engine paint. I had a lot of fun figuring out ways around the troubles I ran into but all in all I had a great time and enjoyed getting to know more about AK’s. Now I figure I will see about ordering a Polish under folder and see if I can use what I have learned so fare too get it built. I have posted some information about my build in the Arkansas Hometown section but it doesn’t look like there are many builders doing much in my area. Anyway if your in Arkansas and are doing any building, please IM me trough the board and maybe we can share information.

Thanks Again for all the help...

Sign_Wolfman
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:30:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice, how does it shoot?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:33:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks great. Let us know how she runs!
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:04:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Congrats.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:07:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks nice!

What did you do to the wood?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice!

How's the Dupli-Color holding up?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:17:41 PM EDT
[#6]
It shoots great. I haven’t had the time to take it to the range for any serious shooting but I have done some plinking and that’s been fun. I striped the wood, sanded, stained with Rit dye then about 8 coats of semi gloss Formby's Tung Oil finish and steel wooled between coats. The Dupli-Color is holding up well it went on easy and for $5 a can I don’t think you can beat it. I took the rifle into work with me today. I have done a lot of the work on the weapon there, my boss loved it and one of the guys is now thinking about building one for himself. Looks like I have infected someone else with this dam AK sickness…I Love IT

Sign_Wolfman
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:21:12 PM EDT
[#7]
You did a good job! Nice work on the wood. Those Romy's just seem to shoot well.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:28:54 AM EDT
[#8]
What was the name of the Rit dye color?

That wood looks great!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Here are some other pictures of the furniture.

I user Rit dye Scarlet, Cocoa Brown, Sunshine Orange and Golden Yellow dissolved in denatured alcohol. If you like your furniture reder add more red, brown or yellow, just play with different combinations till you like what you see. You can control the color by adding more or less of whichever you need and then testing it on the wood. The denatured alcohol dries pretty fast. Then just add coats off tung oil as directed on the can.

Sign_Wolfman
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Heluva Job!!!!  Love the stocks!!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:40:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Congrats, It Looks Great , how does she shoot
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:35:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the complements. I’m stile hopping to find some other builders in Arkansas. If your out there let me know…

Sign_Wolfman
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top