BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/18/2005 9:13:44 AM EDT
I just called and she said they have a test batch going to heat treat early next week.  Then there should be another batch going.  She didn't know if I'd be in the test batch or the one after.  I heard they were affected by Rita, anyone confirm that?  Kind of sounds like their heat treat process got screwed up and they're having to start it over, but that's just speculation on my part.  I've been waiting on this receiver a loooong time.
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 9:55:01 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I just called and she said they have a test batch going to heat treat early next week.  Then there should be another batch going.  She didn't know if I'd be in the test batch or the one after.  I heard they were affected by Rita, anyone confirm that?  Kind of sounds like their heat treat process got screwed up and they're having to start it over, but that's just speculation on my part.  I've been waiting on this receiver a loooong time.

RITA and a fllod of orders has put them behind. They also out source their heat treat off site.

Hootbro
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 12:03:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been waiting over 6 weeks.  First they said it was the parkerizing that was holding the order up, then they said it was the heat treating.  Each week, they say it will ship later this week.

Yeah, I'm still waiting.  

I don't plan on building any/many more from 100% receivers when I can bend my own so easy with my ak-builder.com jig.
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 12:06:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I called the other day to ask what the turn-around time would be for one.  She told me 4 weeks.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 12:51:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been waiting for over a month also. They told me a couple of weeks ago (??) that everything was going out for heat treating.............hmmmm? Oh well, I'm fairly patient.
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 3:11:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I am about 3 weeks into a quoted 4 to 5 week delivery time.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  I visted there operation about a month ago and they were super people.  Must be very busy.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 3:43:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm glad this was posted.  I was beginning to wonder where mine was too.  I should have ordered two though.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 6:43:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Still waiting ....
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 8:01:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Still waiting on mine, but I knew I'd have to wait.  I put myself on the list for enough to hold me for a long time... so I gotta wait but in the end I'll be good for a bit.
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 8:04:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I ordered a couple with custom serial numbers 2 weeks ago. Was told 6-8 weeks. No hurry.
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 3:25:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm 3 weeks past Jimmy's delivery date.  2 basic  1 mm receivers and some parts.  I've been busy and cut them some slack for Rita, but I'm going to call today.

EDIT:  I talked to Peggy yesterday.  Had no trouble finding the order, but I got the "heat treat" story along with a "maybe in 7-10 days" that sounded far from a promise.
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 8:19:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I just got mine last Friday. It looks great I like it  better than Ohio Ord. ones I've had. I waited almost 12 weeks from the time I ordered it until it came. I was told the same thing about heat treating 4 weeks ago.
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 9:06:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Hmm and I thought I was going to get one by walking in at Christmas time...

Doh.
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 9:08:42 AM EDT
[#13]

I waited almost 12 weeks from the time I ordered it until it came.

I guess that means it's time for me to order again now since this will likely be the bottleneck in the schedule of my "build number 2".  
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 11:04:51 AM EDT
[#14]
how did the hurricane affect their business????

they did not get flooded, they just got evacuted for like 2 days.

they are just overwhelmed by their high-quality product.
Link Posted: 10/20/2005 4:31:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes, I'm waiting.
Link Posted: 10/20/2005 4:42:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I ordered on 9-13.  Starting to get pissed. The nice lady gave me 3 different ship dates all were BS.
Link Posted: 10/20/2005 5:45:38 AM EDT
[#17]
I ordered yesterday and was told 30 days or less.
Link Posted: 10/20/2005 8:24:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Yeah was told 30 days also on 2 545 recs.
Get a Ewbanks they got them NOW and they are way better and require less work than the GT!!!
Link Posted: 10/20/2005 8:38:13 AM EDT
[#19]

Anyone else waiting on a GT receiver?  

Nope.. I'm waiting on Harlan's DCI receivers.. If they are as good as the Yugo receivers, the wait will be worth it, and the other companies should seek new work..
Link Posted: 10/20/2005 9:03:17 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Nope.. I'm waiting on Harlan's DCI receivers.. If they are as good as the Yugo receivers, the wait will be worth it, and the other companies should seek new work..

+1 there too!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 5:32:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Aren't these the ones with the bent axis pin holes?  Or have they fixed that?

Quoted:
Yeah was told 30 days also on 2 545 recs.
Get a Ewbanks they got them NOW and they are way better and require less work than the GT!!!

Link Posted: 10/21/2005 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Lost count after 8 weeks, I'm somewhere around 9 or 10 now.  No worries, as long as I know its coming eventually.  I am however, way ready to start my first build!
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 1:26:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Talked to Stephanie today and they are doing inventory.  Will check on my order status Monday.  Time will tell.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Mine took about 6 weeks.  One of them I received was warped.  I sent it back and they are going to replace it.  They did not know how long.  Said the people that heat treat them warped some.  The other one appears to be good.  I have riveted the trigger guard in and slid in the front trunnion.  I have not riveted it yet but it all looks good so far.  Of course, this is my first build so what the hell do I know.
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Glad I ordered 4 when I did.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 10:28:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Just called today and heard it'll be a week and a half again.  She said their heat treater warped 500 receivers and now they've found another heat treater.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 11:44:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Just as well...

I'm still paying for my Yost-Bonitz custom 1911s, my two kits, cases of ammo......etc.
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 5:45:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm only two weeks into my wait.  Ordered one with trigger guard already attached and one without.    ..hope they're not warped.   I wanna get my feet wet before I step up and bend my own..
Link Posted: 11/7/2005 10:41:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Called in again today.  Nope, still hasn't shipped.  But I am one of the older orders, so it should be shipped out in the next week and a half.  They could really simplify this process by just answering the phone and saying "weekandahalf" then hanging up.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2005 12:32:53 PM EDT
[#30]
I say everyone cancels and orders from Joekens.  I know they have a bad reputation, but they have them predrilled and not, in the white, ready to send.  I cancelled the duracoat on mine, and it went out today.  Just a thought.  Screw GT.

Link Posted: 11/7/2005 5:58:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Received 2 receivers today.  I ordered tem so long ago I don't remember how long it's been.

One looks OK the other one looks like it has been through a fire or something.  Rusty gunk all over it.  I'm not about to send it back it'd be next year before I got a replacement.

I also got 2 from Joeken and they look great.  Wrapped in plastic wrap and oiled.  Look very good.  I've used one of theirs before and it worked fine.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 7:16:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Mine came in yesterday.   Just a bit over ten weeks.  If I had known about the wait I would have ordered from someone else.  But it looks pretty good.  Needs deburring and its got a very small amount of surface rust. Gonna need to be bead blasted or a lot of elbow grease to prep it for finishing. But straight and true.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 1:21:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Got my parked receivers last week.

The $8 extra per receiver was WELL worth it.  

The ones we got that weren't parked looked really rough.

Didn't notice ANY warpage on these receivers.  Maybe they have their method dialed in.....
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 4:38:57 PM EDT
[#34]
I just got a couple in , they appear to be straight but they need to be deburred and cleaned up.  They are covered with a crappy rust and baked oil film.   Don't these guys take any pride in their work?  I can't believe they leave the factory looking like this.  

just my .02

vato
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#35]
I placed my order 9/27 and expected some delay since Wilma had just been through and done her thing on Houston. I found out today after 6 weeks waiting that they hadn't received my FFLs paperwork even though he confirmed he sent it on 9/16 with specific instructions regarding who would place the order. Once they found the FFL (in their files) they said they would put the order in today.

Great, 6 weeks wait and now I am at the end of the line. I suggested that they read the forums to find out what was happening to their reputation.

No flames, just my experience.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm in the same boat and am discouraged about getting my order any time soon.  They've extended their ETA every time I call.  Anyone have any positive results from other vendors?  If so, please share your feedback and their contact info.  A company that's blowing us off like this, regardless of the quality of their product deserves some competition.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 11:16:34 AM EDT
[#37]
I just received an email from OOW claiming they have receivers in stock and will ship within 2-3 days of receiving the FFLs paperwork.
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 10:09:26 PM EDT
[#38]
if oow would put their selector hole in the correct location, they would quickly be number one on the market.
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 10:32:38 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
if oow would put their selector hole in the correct location, they would quickly be number one on the market.

They need stepped rails and to fully harden the receiver as well.
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 3:45:47 AM EDT
[#40]
+ 1 on that thought !

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/12/2005 9:57:06 AM EDT
[#41]
I think they just need to move the selector hole and that would be it.  Fully hardening the entire receiver is not necessary IMO.  Also, it chews up your drill bits.
Link Posted: 11/18/2005 10:05:36 AM EDT
[#42]
My 2 should be shipped on the 22th according to them.  Was hoping to get them 2 months ago when I had free time but oh well.   2nd kid came and now I don't have time or motivation.
Link Posted: 11/18/2005 4:02:22 PM EDT
[#43]
UPDATE:  A week ago Wednesday I actually got a call back from someone in the shop not the office.  It looks like mine (and the rest of my order) will be here before the month is out.

Just got an email from my FFL dealer that my receivers have arrived!
Link Posted: 11/18/2005 4:47:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Blackmore, when did you order?
Link Posted: 11/19/2005 3:21:04 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I mailed by order and payment 9/02/05.  I will try to get over to see them and give a report later today.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 6:52:33 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I mailed by order and payment 9/02/05.  I will try to get over to see them and give a report later today.

UPDATE!! ?

....please
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 8:27:18 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I just got a couple in , they appear to be straight but they need to be deburred and cleaned up.  They are covered with a crappy rust and baked oil film.   Don't these guys take any pride in their work?  I can't believe they leave the factory looking like this.

My experience exactly. I have two from them, and the condition of the steel is appalling. These receivers are only worthy of being built into romy kits. It's going to take a lot of work to get the corrosion pitting cleaned up, and even then I'm not sure how good I can make them look.

To make matters worse, the guy from GT was as pompous as can be. The guy was unbearable. He kept bragging on just how good their stuff is, and how they're all tooled up to make them just right, blah blah blah, and they freakin' look like they'd been sitting in someone's backyard for weeks.

I won't buy any more of their stuff. If OOW doesn't get it right, can somebody tell me who makes a decent clean standard AK receiver? Harlan sent me a pic of a prototype RPK receiver they're working on, and I'll tell you if he made standard AK receivers that looked like that I'd buy a dozen in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 9:22:56 AM EDT
[#48]
I have had recs ordered since the last of Sept and they just told me they are just now shipping orders from the MIDDLE OF SEPT!! Kinda starting to get fed up with them myself, keep getting the run around.  

If you don't mind dealing with JoeKen, their recs are probally the best on the market right now. I have used about a dozen already and they go together the best of all of them.
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 6:19:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Just an update for the for what its worth.  As you can see from my previous posts, I had a long wait.  The receiver is a bit rough (by that I mean in the appearance of the surface of the steel).  I've done the build and am well satisfied.  The fit has been perfect in every way.  A little deburring is all that I've had to do.  All holes were in the exact right place, rails are right, top cover popped into perfect position.  This has helped to make my first build an enjoyable experience.   I don't think finishing the receiver will be any extra work since  it has to be sanded or blasted prior to finishing with Gun or Dura anyway.  As for drilling the hardened receiver, its only 1mm thick and I had no trouble getting thru it with average quality drill bits.

That being said, I don't believe I want to wait that long for my next.   If they haven't caught up by the time I'm ready to order, I'll have to go with someone else.
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 7:47:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Called again today.
Small chance it will ship next week.  If not, should ship the week after that.
I don't believe them anymore.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top