Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/12/2005 8:06:15 PM EDT
Got a new set of black poly front furniture for my Romy AK.  The bottom handguard went on pretty smoothly with just a little trimming.  The upper handguard is a different story.  I held the gas tube and turned off the original wood piece.  It came off very easy.  When I tried to install the poly guard in reverse it became obvious that the front guard bearing surfaces are substantially different and would not allow the piece to be turned on.  Is it normal to have to trim this piece so much?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 10:46:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine was tight, too. Try putting the squared back edge of the gas tube (lightly!) in a vise, and applying a little oil the handguards/retainer surfaces. Better real tight than a little loose.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 11:23:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the suggestion.  I broke out the old Dremel and trimmed the areas of the upper handguard which were different than the wood one that fits perfect.  After a little trim/fit, trim/fit it finally fit and looks great.  On the downside, I broke off the upperhand guard retention lever on the front site and had to order one from Numrich.  Hopefully it won't be too hard to install.  They are made from cast metal and once bent, cannot be bent back.  At least on the Romy's.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top