Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2005 5:19:42 PM EDT
I'm just about ready to weld in the lower rails.  I don't have access to a "spot" welder, so I thought about doing "rosette" welds with a MIG.  Anybody do this or will it get too hot?  I might be able to get a friend of a friend to TIG weld them in, but the MIG is more readily available to me, and I'm doing quite a bit of bending these days!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:00:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I have done 10+ sets of lower rails by rosette welding them in place.  Just cool the receiver after each weld and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:41:04 PM EDT
[#2]
after positioning the rail, I clamp it with a vise grip, then drill an 1/8 th in hole through the receiver and rail, then open the receivers hole to a 1/4  inch, then weld it up, grind it flat and paint, works great on the ones I've done.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:08:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
after positioning the rail, I clamp it with a vise grip, then drill an 1/8 th in hole through the receiver and rail, then open the receivers hole to a 1/4  inch, then weld it up, grind it flat and paint, works great on the ones I've done.

Exactly!
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:16:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Why would you drill through the rail also?

Before I bought a spot welder, I used to rosette weld my rails in.
I drilled a 3/16" hole through the receiver, but left the rails intact.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 11:23:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I use a slightly different technique.

I take sharpie and draw the shape of the rail, then drill some 1/4" holes through the receiver, debur, then I have a mini C-clamp. I use the axis hole and center support and a "correct size" drill bit to space the rail. then rossetta weld. Also, what I did last time, was preheat the rail with a  torch, to almost red, then rossetta weld. no problems with weld not sticking to rail that way.

I had done a couple without preheating the rail, and the weld broke quite easily. when you preheat, the weld ends up being flatter, and with  8620 , you are supposed to preheat it for welding.   (the old flats that scott used to sell)  

edit: I preheat only the hole I am about to weld, then cool with a damp towel.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top