Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/8/2005 6:02:02 PM EDT
I am just kinda dry fitting my trunions etc.  and have noticed that the Rec has a gap between the Safety and the dust cover.  Aslo the OOW does not have the little X- marks where the trigger/ hammer pins go.  I only got one so wont be buying another of these.   Is the GT Rec a good one or does it also have something out of spec?
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 7:04:13 PM EDT
[#1]
The OOW receiver have the safety/selector hole too low. It leaves the apparent gap and also requires you grind the safety down to properly engage the disconnector. My first build was on an OOW - too long for the dust cover and the safety/selector hole was too low. But after fitting everything together, it works like a champ. A good truck gun!
The Global receivers are a whole lot better than any other I have seen and work out to make a nice strong AK!
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 8:05:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I just completed a Romanian build on an OOW receiver. My first was on a Global receiver. The only grinding I had to do (actually I stoned it down little by little) was on the Global. The bolt carrier fit to tight in the receiver which interfered with the carriers movement. Other than that both went together fine and both work great. That said, I like the Global better than the OOW. The mag dimple looks more like the original and it has the X/Y reinforcing on the trigger/hammer pin holes and I like that. But from a fit standpoint both were very good to excellent.

Also, I believe the reinforcing (X and Y stampings) is supposed to be there on 1mm receivers, which makes the Global more accurate. However I'm just going from memory on this last bit, and that's always suspect.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 8:11:50 PM EDT
[#3]
that's not the kicker.....just wait till you finish it, install the fire control group, then try to cycle the bolt carrier.....you're gonna be pissed!  welcome to the OOW club
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:24:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh?  What the hell else am I going to have to grind?  
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:21:09 AM EDT
[#5]
your hammer profile big time
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:51:57 AM EDT
[#6]
My romie built on an ohio reciver works great, everything fit well(except the selector witch had to be ground to fit and also left a gap at the dust cover) and everything functions perfectly, no grinding involved.  my dad however had one that had to be trimmed on the front and rear to be flush with the trunnions.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 11:48:53 AM EDT
[#7]
well i cant speak about OOW,. ive worked with a tapco flat,. and a global 1mm,...the tapco was a def. learning experiance,... when i went to test fit all the parts from my 74 kit on the global reciver,. it went so smooth, so easy,...i swear i felt like i was cheating on a test and a nun was going to come smack me with a yardstick,...

i had to do some cutting and grinding on the global because it was a 74 kit with a skel side folder.,. and had to file away a little of the top rails so the bolt and carrier would not get hung up.

47 left-74 right
this is how she looked before i finished it off with some krylon (should hold till i get duracoated)

but after seeing how easy it all lined up and went together,.. i scraped tha tapco,. and orderd a global reciver to replace it along with one reciver each in 7.62 and 5.45
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:54:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Well ya can't say I didn't warn ya!  

I told ye it was like that, back when you asked about receivers and I told ya why OOW's wasn't yer best bet.

Welcome to the OOW club, although I was only a one time member.  Went to Globals after that and other than the occasional warped receiver, which is really annoying... but seems to have gotten better... I didn't look back.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:15:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I told ye it was like that, back when you asked about receivers and I told ya why OOW's wasn't yer best bet.

Welcome to the OOW club, although I was only a one time member.  Went to Globals after that and other than the occasional warped receiver, which is really annoying... but seems to have gotten better... I didn't look back.

+1
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:16:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+1
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top