Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/8/2005 5:31:57 PM EDT
How do you deal with the rear hole of the rail?  Drill out old rear trunion rivet and rerivet? I'm going to mount a scope on a Romy and I think I'm missing something about the process.
Also, are there any rails to avoid?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 1:22:57 AM EDT
[#1]
when i tore apart my saiga the rail was the first to come off, thats what i had to do to get it off ,i also noticed that it was just about level with the spot weilds on the reciver,. if that helps any.

did you think about useing a screws instead of rivets? i got silly bored one night and welded up all the un-nessary holes, and figured i could just drill and tap a hole and make it work somehow

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:37:16 AM EDT
[#2]
the hard part is getting the rail straight in line with the bore..  if the rail is off a little you will not hey the scope to zero..  
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:42:16 AM EDT
[#3]
They left front rear trunion rivet sets the heigth of the rail. Here are the speps involved:

1) Remove left front rear trunion rivet.

2) Place optic rail on receiver so the rear hole lines up with the removed rivet hole.

3) Place a rivet throgh the optic rail, the receiver and the rear trunion.

4) Measure from the top rail of the receiver to the top rail of the optic rail, as close as possible to the rivet. Calipers are best for this, but you can get by with a steel rule.

5) Measure the front of the optic rail the same way and adjust so it is as close as possible to the  dimesion of the rear.

6) Once you have it where it needs to be, you have two choices. Mark the other holes or rivet the rear one down, remeasure the front, adjust if needed, drill the remaining two hole and rivet them.

If you are useing screws, just tap the trunion hole and follow the other directions useing screws instead of rivets.

Make sure you get an optics rail for the rifle you are useing. The front rear trunion holes on the 74's and 47's are different and you will not line up with the trigger/hammer holes. Take your time and you should be alright. The rail doens't have to be perfect, but it needs to be as close as you can get it. When I was building them for a living, I had made up a gauge to place them where they needed to be. Hope this helps,

Mike
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:55:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks.  I'm gonna put it on a Romy I haven't built yet so I will be careful to make sure I do it when I am riveting the rear trunion and not as an afterthought.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top