Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/7/2005 6:30:59 PM EDT
I disassembled my first Romy kit today. The only thing I had problems with was getting the rivets off the trigger guard--the piece is so flimsy I didn't want to really crank down the vise on it. I ended up breaking the safety selector stop. Snapped it right in two.

1) is there someplace I can get a replacement stop or do I need a whole replacement trigger guard in order to get that part?

2) is there a better way to do this? I checked out Firebase's thread but I don't have a drill press so I'm winging it a little.

3) I haven't gotten the looooong rivets out of the rear trunion yet--how should that be tackled with no drill press?

Thanks for any advice.

The barrel pin was a piece of cake with the 12-ton HF press.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I disassembled my first Romy kit today. The only thing I had problems with was getting the rivets off the trigger guard--the piece is so flimsy I didn't want to really crank down the vise on it. I ended up breaking the safety selector stop. Snapped it right in two.

1) is there someplace I can get a replacement stop or do I need a whole replacement trigger guard in order to get that part?

The barrel pin was a piece of cake with the 12-ton HF press.

www.aa-ok.com/AK_Receiver_Parts/Receiver_Parts.html
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:59:46 PM EDT
[#2]

www.globaltrades.com/ak_receivers.html

Scroll down the page -- they have the stop for $6.99.

2) is there a better way to do this? I checked out Firebase's thread but I don't have a drill press so I'm winging it a little.

Carefully.  I grind down the rivets with a dremel bit.  You need a dremel type tool for these builds.  Harbor Freight usually has them on sale.  After grinding flat you can drill and then punch them out.

3) I haven't gotten the looooong rivets out of the rear trunion yet--how should that be tackled with no drill press?

Slowly and carefully and from both sides.  You could also get a small drill press.  I'm sure you'll find hundreds of uses for it over the years.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top