Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/7/2005 3:56:36 PM EDT
I am just sitting down to start disassembling my kit; which way does the barrel pin come out, so I don't start a poundin' and getting nowehere!!!
Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:01:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Some say it does not matter, others say from left to right (as you are shooting the gun) is best.
The vise method worked for me.  Hammer didn't do it, but some have luck with this method.
Good luck,
Matt
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:07:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Dunno if it matters, but I used the above left to right method with my press.  Works great!
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:24:23 PM EDT
[#3]
 Look at the end of the barrel pin, one end will have a slight
bevel, put your punch there and knock it out the way it came in.

I tried the vice on my polish kit and it wouldn't budge the pin at
all the other way, but doing this it came right out.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:27:53 PM EDT
[#4]
 Look at the end of the barrel pin, one end will have a slight
bevel, put your punch there and knock it out the way it came in.

I tried the vice on my polish kit and it wouldn't budge the pin at
all the other way, but doing this it came right out.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:28:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Dang, sorry about that.

I meant to post that for me it was driving it out left to right also.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:40:54 PM EDT
[#6]
It is not a tapered pin and not a tapered hole so it doesn’t matter.
I would not suggest hammering it out, you run the chance of swelling it and then you will be in for a real bad time. I used the vice method for my AMD-65 and a 40 ton press for the Polish under folder kit from Dan’s. The vice worked fine for me and I only used the press because I was going to a friends shop. If the pin will not move at first leave it in the vice for a while and then retighten it, keep this up you can also hit the vice with a B.F.Hammer but you will mar your vice. Make sure that your pin bolt or what ever you are using to drive out the pin is as straight as possible.

I used a 4” two arm gear puller from harbor freight to remove the barrel from the AMD 65 it came out smooth. I bushed it up with nickels to avoid marring the barrel. I saw this on someone’s web site, and liked the idea.  
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top