Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2005 1:49:35 PM EDT
Anyone run into this?  The magwell on the receiver shell is the right size (I used my GT 1.0mm as a comparison case) but the little rail right above the magwell dimple blocks the mag from being inserted.  Am I the lone ranger here?  Do I just go after it with a dremel bit?  Let me know.

Also, when I set the front trunnion into the receiver and push it back against the rails there's about 1/16 extra metal left overhanging at the front of the trunnion.  Do I just trim this off too?

I guess I've been spoiled bt the GT recivers -- this is my first Ewbank receiver.

Sudboy
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#1]
You must be Joeken!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:34:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, you will have to dremel the rail. You might have to adjust the mag well opening too, I did atleast.

As fot the extra length I have no idea. I dont think the raoil have to touch the trunnion, but not quite sure. 1/16" shoudlnt hurt it. I would have to check my builds and see what they look like.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:30:24 PM EDT
[#3]
My Ewbank receiver required mucho filing !!! I am spoiled on the GT myself.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:58:47 AM EDT
[#4]
i just got ahold of my first also...looks like a lot of work...
show this weekend...last one a guy was selling Global rec. gonna try to pick one up>

been using OOW with very little work
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:07:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is a pictorial on how to modify the Ewbanks, it is a major help...

www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=252133
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:05:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Anyone run into this?  The magwell on the receiver shell is the right size (I used my GT 1.0mm as a comparison case) but the little rail right above the magwell dimple blocks the mag from being inserted.  Am I the lone ranger here?  Do I just go after it with a dremel bit?  Let me know.

All Ewbanks receivers are like that.  They use 5.45 rails.  You will also need to trim the ejector hook (shark fin).  I use a dremel.

Also, when I set the front trunnion into the receiver and push it back against the rails there's about 1/16 extra metal left overhanging at the front of the trunnion.  Do I just trim this off too?

The Ewbanks are not too long in this dimension.  Set the position of the front trunnion so that the mag fits correctly.  Do not push the trunnion back to the rails or you will have to take a lot off the back of the mag well to get your mag in.   If anything, they are a tiny bit too short.

Sudboy

Responses in Red.  Ozzy
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:32:22 PM EDT
[#7]
yea I had the same problem with mine. Not only did I have to dremel down the rail, but also the rear end of the magwell opening and the ejector. nothing big to fix but you'd expect that when you pay good money for a stripped receiver it ought to just be ready to go
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:24:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I dont know if it is by choice or chance, but the Ewbanks receivers are tight in all dimensions.  That is, you may have to trim metal in several places, but never have the need to add metal.  Although this means extra work for the builder, I see it as a good thing.  The kits we are using were produced in various countries/arsenals over a period of decades.  They will have variances.  One reason I prefer the Ewbanks receivers is because I know that they will never be too loose.  I like to trim my receivers to fit just right.  But before anyone accuses me of being a Joeken plant or stooge, let it be known that I am disappointed in their ability to ship what I ordered.  It took about 2 months, 6 shipments and twice as many phone calls before I finally got everything I ordered.  They were always decent to me on the phone, but jeez, what a screwed up shipping department.  
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top