BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/29/2005 7:45:09 PM EDT

Those who have posted images have selected both AKM and AK74 features. What is the consensus, do you want a AK74 receiver that is distinctly different from the AKM (7.62x39) receiver?
How about using the Hungarian SA85 receiver as a guide for the AKM version, and the SAR-2 receiver as a guide for the AK74 version?
I doubt that we will include any features that have to do with the third hole area.

Harlan

Here are some PICS to help you decide, poll inbound

These are my only Hungarian SA85 Pics

I don't have any good close-ups Pics of the SAR-2. Can someone please post them.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:18:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I sure like the idea of both. But, if this is going to run the costs up considerably then if I had to choose one I would vote for the 74 style in different calibers.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:20:41 AM EDT
[#2]
This is my first post here but this is an issue about which I feel strongly enough to weigh in. I've only recently obtained my first parts kit, a Bulgarian AK-74, and I've been doing a lot of research over the past few weeks all over the web. I'm not just interested in making something that goes bang; I want this build to be as authentic as possible within the limits of the law. I'm primarily a curio and relic kind of guy and the confines of the "assault weapons" ban kept me from getting into this sort of thing before as too many compromises were required.

I've come to the conclusion that none of the receivers currently on the market is satisfactory for what I want to build. I'll hold onto this kit until the right one comes along and would probably sell it before I'd use one of the currently available receivers. Basically I want something that looks and performs as close to a real AK-74 receiver as possible while still meeting legal requirements. Manufacturer's markings should be as inconspicuous as possible. Of course it should be made from good quality steel to the proper functional dimensions but that alone is not enough.

I am encouraged by what I've seen in the threads here on this topic. I realize I'm only one person and might never buy more than one or two receivers but maybe there are enough of us out here to make doing it right worthwhile. I'd happily pay a premium for a receiver made the way you guys are describing, and I'm willing to wait for it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:54:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Please use the Maadi receiver as the model for the AKM receiver.

Especially important are the number & placement of the 2 welds over the mag dimple on the Maadi.  The FEG receivers have 3 spot welds.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it makes the most economic sense to take the best features of both models and incorporate them into one design. If you think there is enough market demand for two models, so be it. But I simply want something like that looks like an Ak, is tough as an AK, and works with my kits.

Galland
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:32:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I think it makes the most economic sense to take the best features of both models and incorporate them into one design. If you think there is enough market demand for two models, so be it. But I simply want something like that looks like an Ak, is tough as an AK, and works with my kits.

Galland

That is what everyone is complaining about. A half assed "We improved on the design" receivers. There are already 3 or 4 companies out there making these already.

I would go with copying a Bulgarian SLR105 receiver, not a SAR-2. A SAR 2 being Romanian, is not a true AK-74. Its basically a AKM in 5.45. If that makes any sense. It lacks the AK-74 specific details.

For the AKM receiver, I would vote for 2 different types.  One early, like a FEG, and one late like a Steyr MAADI (not the weird looking later imports).. If you only choose one, I vote the FEG. It will be correct for the majority of the kits out there; Polish, Hungarian, Romanian, early Russian, anyone with an E.German...

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:40:56 AM EDT
[#6]
'Stottman':

Please show an image of an FEG receiver, and briefly explain how it differs from an Steyr imported MAADI. Also briefly explain what features to avoid from later imported MAADI's.
Thanks.

Harlan
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:16:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Harlan, I got great expectations for you and DCI.. I just transfered a Yugo underfolder for one of my buddies, and it is by far, the BEST AK type receiver I have ever held.. Damn, now I want a kit just so I can buy one of your receivers..

I am sitting on all of my kits till your 74 and AKM units come out.. Not to mention the RPK..
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm not Stottman, but here are some photos to help further the discussion.

Notice the difference in the size and shape of the dimples.

Notice the number & location differences in the spot welds over the dimples and again the dimple size & shape differences.

I don't know what Stottman is referring to with regard to the later Maadi receivers.

I vote for a copy of the Steyr Maadi receiver over the FEGs.  The FEG receivers (early AKM type) were already sold as shells by Global Trades, no one has ever sold a Steyr Maadi copy (late AKM) receiver shell.

I also vote for the AK74 receiver being copied from the Arsenal SLR-105 receivers.

BTW, Harlan, I received my fixed-stock Yugo M70 receiver and it looks great.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:32:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 12:10:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Late model MAADI receivers (including some imported as bare receivers) have this weird skinny dimple, similar to the Global trades 1.6mm receiver.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:32:09 AM EDT
[#11]
This is a later Maadi receiver.

Good to see someone finally sees a market that's been ignored. I was worried the parts kit ban meant no one would ever feel the need to make a good authentic receiver. Lots of purists are sitting on many kits waiting for the right recvr., and lots of money to be made. I think a different AKM and AK-74 version is a must if you want to do it right.

I agree with Stottman.
As said, Bulgarian receiver as model for the 74.
FEG is probably the best if you only do one AKM. It'll cover far more of the kits out there, while the Maadi would be correct for a smaller number of kits (late Soviet AKM...)
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:33:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Need a trigger bump!  Those damn shepherds crooks are a pain to get in otherwise... Have to use trailer hitch pins. Give us trigger bumps!
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:48:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Honestly, if Harlan/DCI does ONE thing, it should be to call Ted Marshall and get his opinion and requirements.

End of the problem.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:05:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Honestly, if Harlan/DCI does ONE thing, it should be to call Ted Marshall and get his opinion and requirements.

End of the problem.

Dude, you gotta stop with these brilliant posts. It's geting scary!  

All kidding aside, I'd easily pay $150 each for CORRECT AKM and CORRECT AK74 receivers! I'm tired of the half-assed BS we have now.

Kyle
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:44:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Dont try and reinvent the wheel.

Just copy what the Russians built.

Go to the source.  As of yet, no one else has.

K

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#16]
The SLR-105 receiver will be the guide for the AK74 receiver. Is it okay if the 'trigger bumps' are placed on both sides of the trigger? The SLR-105 receiver has the 'bump' on the right side only.

Harlan
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:48:42 PM EDT
[#17]
This is the trigger bump Harlen is talking about.
I don't have an underside pic of the double bump.

ETA: third pic
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:39:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The SLR-105 receiver will be the guide for the AK74 receiver. Is it okay if the 'trigger bumps' are placed on both sides of the trigger? The SLR-105 receiver has the 'bump' on the right side only.

Harlan

Trigger bumps on both sides wouldn't keep me away. The Russians went to this design later on, so it's also correct for many builds (like the AK-74M I hope do eventually do)

ETA: When you start a list of customers for these, let us know please. I don't care if it's a year down the road when they're available. Sounds like youre going to do it right! I'm good for 2 AKM and 2 74.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:18:11 AM EDT
[#19]
I vote for the FEG design for the AKM, and make sure it has a single hook trigger cutout.  If you want to see a Maadi receiver, I have some of those I could lend you Harlan.

Brick
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:03:27 AM EDT
[#20]
'Brick':

Why are you advocating for the FEG receiver, rather than the MAADI receiver? I see a slight difference in the mag well dimple and in the spot weld pattern.
Thanks.

Harlan
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:21:26 AM EDT
[#21]
I purchased four kits. Two are together, working on the third (Yugo) now. Have a Tantal left to start on. After taking possession of Harlans Yugo receiver (under folder) I'd like to see DCI make a run of Tantal receivers. I'd gladly pay a premium for a correct Tantal receiver.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:24:52 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Dont try and reinvent the wheel.

Just copy what the Russians built.

Go to the source.  As of yet, no one else has.

K

If you are talking licenced production, then I am going to go with no. From what I understand, the Russians want millions of dollars for this...
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:26:20 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
'Brick':

Why are you advocating for the FEG receiver, rather than the MAADI receiver? I see a slight difference in the mag well dimple and in the spot weld pattern.
Thanks.

Harlan

Well, main reason is that its basically the proper receiver (or closer) for 90% of the kits sold in the US- Polish, Romanian, Hungarian (duh), and other kits that came in in small numbers- E.German, Early Russian AKM, etc.

For those that want a receiver closer to a late AKM (late Russian kits are the most common), they can modify your 74 receiver.. Or you could offer that as a factory option..

That would satisfy 95% of the people (even collectors) out there.

On the AK-74 receiver, I can also post pics of a factory made Tula semi auto receiver.....
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:09:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

On the AK-74 receiver, I can also post pics of a factory made Tula semi auto receiver.....

Oh please do Stott.. If for no other reason than our personall enjoyment.. Thanks..
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 12:38:45 PM EDT
[#25]
tag
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Yay! Trigger bumps!  Being on both sides is fine with me... Otherwise, just copy the Russian receiver.  Its the only way! All others are just silly ;)
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:54:03 PM EDT
[#27]
I will take some better pics later, but here is what I have-

From top to bottom, we have-
1983 AKSU
Tula semi
1989 AKSu
02 Russian dummy AK74.

Link Posted: 10/15/2005 2:04:30 PM EDT
[#28]

How about using the Hungarian SA85 receiver as a guide for the AKM version

I have two SA-85 AKM kits that would love to be mated to those receivers.
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

ROOKIE!
I see your 2 Hungarians, upgrade them to AMDs and raise you 5 Romanians!
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 7:13:40 PM EDT
[#30]
looks like me sitting (read procrastinating) on getting my bulgy 74 built has paid of.  i will buy the nice/accurate/quality 74 receiver you are talking about.  it also looks like the OOW receiver i have been sitting on is going to be made into a dedicated 22lr AK (not much stress from the 22lr cartridge) with the help of a ceiner kit.
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 7:58:37 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ROOKIE!
I see your 2 Hungarians, upgrade them to AMDs and raise you 5 Romanians!

Link Posted: 10/16/2005 8:57:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Tag
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 7:28:46 AM EDT
[#33]
We're set on using the Hungarian AKM (SA-85) receiver as the guide/template for the AKM receiver, and the Bulgarian SLR-105 receiver as the guide/template for the AK74 receiver.
Thanks.

Harlan
NoDak Spud LLC
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 7:35:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Any ETA on those?
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 8:19:19 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
We're set on using the Hungarian AKM (SA-85) receiver as the guide/template for the AKM receiver, and the Bulgarian SLR-105 receiver as the guide/template for the AK74 receiver.
Thanks.

Harlan
NoDak Spud LLC

Excellent
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 9:32:20 AM EDT
[#36]
I'll definately take one of these for my AMD65 build.. I like the trigger bump :)
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#37]
'CornFedHusker':

We are planning to have production inventory of the AKM and AK74 receivers available before the end of the year.
Thanks.

Harlan
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Harlan - will you be heat treating these to the same hardness as the European receivers?
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 7:51:56 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
'CornFedHusker':

We are planning to have production inventory of the AKM and AK74 receivers available before the end of the year.
Thanks.

Harlan

I'll buy a dozen.
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 7:54:50 PM EDT
[#40]
I expect the AKM and AK74 receivers will be fully heat treated to a hardness level in the Rc40 range.
Is that okay?

Harlan
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 8:04:00 PM EDT
[#41]
That sounds good to me..  Now ya just gotta get 'em to market so I can quit having a fit.
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 2:27:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Thats awesome Harlan. Can we get on the list for a few?  I'd be down for 2 receivers at least.
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Whatever you do, please make sure the trigger axis pin is in the correct location.
Link Posted: 10/22/2005 12:24:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/22/2005 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#45]
I know that this thread is for Harlan, but I'm pretty ignorant on the specifics of how other particular brands fall short of being as authentic as possible.  In regard to the 1.0mm AK74 receivers that Global Trades makes, in what regard do they fall short?
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 5:21:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Keep up the good Research and work Harlan!  My checkbook and I look forward to all of your future receivers

Link Posted: 10/24/2005 6:22:56 AM EDT
[#47]
I realise that it's too early yet for a firm price on these receivers, but can you give us a ballpark figure?

OJF
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 8:50:15 AM EDT
[#48]
'oldjarheadfart':

I have not yet been given costing figures for the AKM and AK74 receivers. We will have info coming out as we find out more.
Thanks.

Harlan
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 9:04:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Woo Hoo!
Link Posted: 10/30/2005 10:19:18 PM EDT
[#50]
bump
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top