Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/28/2005 6:46:19 PM EDT

Bare in mind this is all built on a homemade jig.  As I said in a previous post it's no more off than 0.02-0.03"

I bought three, this was my first one (you see pictured) second one I got a little excited and forgot to properly center the dowel

Oh yeah...probably gonna want lithium or moly sulfide to butter it in

I have one more I can perfect this on.
-rob
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:58:34 PM EDT
[#1]
The Jig:

The latest bent receiver (i used Dawn liquid soap as opposed to grease to make cleanup easier)  Thing was much easier to slide into the jig than without anything at all Also note that there is far less scoring on the side of the receiver:

-Rob
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:59:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Are the guide rails for the bolt supposed to sit atop the magazine dimples in the receiver?

Pictures:

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

-Rob
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:10:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I would install the rails after the front trunnion.  Make sure that every thing is lined up and then install.

Just my $0.02
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:57:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Does anybody have a definitive template for the rails?  I want to make sure the cuts on those are accurate as can be.  I hear they are important

-Rob
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:59:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I replied elsewhere to your thread but I will ask again here...

How are you planning to bend your top rails?  They need to be done before any trunions or lower rails!  

The lower rails are placed after the upper rails are done and the trunion is fitted.  Then the lower rails are put in parallel to the rails built into the trunion using the top rail as a guide....  

There is no template for the lower rail as it all depends on your trunion...

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#6]
ok in this picture you can see I added to the original jig design, incorporating a rail bender.  The receiver you see was the very first one I did (after making mistakes with the first two), but even though it looks a tiny rough in the picture, it's to within 0.003" of spec.  I am very pleased with the results.  I am sure future flats will look exceptional.

-Rob
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top