Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2005 6:20:53 PM EDT
Have gone thru the kit thoroughly and it looks very good overall.  The numbers match and the parts show little wear with a good barrel.  Wood is dinged and rough but I am changing that anyway.  The gas tube is slightly canted but I think I can take care of that easy enough.  Some questions I need help on.

- I plan to use the following US parts: G/T receiver, muzzle break (my barrel is threaded with no weld), gas piston, trigger, hammer, US pistol grip and forearm furniture.  

Question - what is the disconnector, follower (mag part I assume) and floorplate.  Are these easy to make up US content.  Also, does the trigger guard and mag latch count?

Thanks in advance.  You guys alway come though.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:27:54 PM EDT
[#1]
bump, I need to know this also
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:47:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Have gone thru the kit thoroughly and it looks very good overall.  The numbers match and the parts show little wear with a good barrel.  Wood is dinged and rough but I am changing that anyway.  The gas tube is slightly canted but I think I can take care of that easy enough.  Some questions I need help on.

- I plan to use the following US parts: G/T receiver, muzzle break (my barrel is threaded with no weld), gas piston, trigger, hammer, US pistol grip and forearm furniture.  

Question - what is the disconnector, follower (mag part I assume) and floorplate.  Are these easy to make up US content.  Also, does the trigger guard and mag latch count?

Thanks in advance.  You guys alway come though.

Your comlete fire control group consists of the hammer, trigger with sear, and your disconnector.  The disconnector is the smaller piece that is spring loaded from the trigger...you usually buy all three together as in a Tapco G2 trigger set, each one counts as a US part so you have 3 US parts here

Your receiver is US so that is four

US Pistol Grip is five

Your forearm set can also be US that is six...YOU'RE DONE

I wouldn't change the piston or muzzle brake if you are changing out the pistol grip and forearm set....but it's a personal choice

with this set up obviously you can keep your buttstock

Your trigger guard and mag catch to NOT COUNT...because this is an AK these are not considered the trigger housing like a CETME/G3

You can change out the magazine follower and floor plate with US parts and forget about two US parts on your rifle, but you would have to do that we each mag your going to shoot with........most people reserve this as the most desparate measures with an expensive kit where you want to keep the most original furniture and parts

TO summarize, the most common choices are (FOR STAMPED KIT WITH MUZZLE DEVICE)

US receiver
US hammer
US diconnector
US Trigger
(the three above are usually obtained with each other)
US buttstock
US forearm
US Pistol Grip
US Brake
US Piston
US mag follower
US mag base plate

Just choose six....minimum to comply with 922r, you can always use more if you want, my preference is to not change out pistons.....but it is easy enought to do, I just like the carrier to remain the same

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:52:07 PM EDT
[#3]
1 gunner beat me to it I take to long to type
he explained it way better than I was going to do
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:59:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Gunner.  Is the plate the pistol grip reinforcement plate I have been reading about?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks Gunner.  Is the plate the pistol grip reinforcement plate I have been reading about?

No that does not count, that is spot welded to the receiver between the pistol grip and receiver just to reinforce a side or underfolding build where you may shoot with the stock folded and the pistol grip takes the force

the mag plate that you can change out to US is at the very bottom of the magazine, the part that you slide out to get the spring and follower out of the mag.....the US mag follower and bottom plate are usually pretty good..it's hard to mess up these parts......but make sure you keep your original foreign mag body and spring..this is what the US screws up
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top