Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2005 12:12:14 AM EDT
What method did you use to grind off the weld after you had tacked it to the trunion?  That is, without damaging the receiver.

I'm goin' for the SMAW (stick) process with 6011.  I just practiced a bit. Think it'll be quite easy to do.

-Rob
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:25:09 AM EDT
[#1]

This is half of my bending jig I completed today after a complete redesign idea.  Accuracy out to the end of the flat from the jig itself is 0.02" +/-

Accurate enough to be used in this build. Thats for sure.

-Rob
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:23:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What method did you use to grind off the weld after you had tacked it to the trunion?  That is, without damaging the receiver.

-Rob

When I did mine, I left the rivet stubs flush with the outside of the receiver and TIG'd them to the receiver. There was very little excess weld and I just hit them with a sanding disk.
This was fine because I then sandblasted the entire receiver before shooting with GunKote.

Good luck,
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:14:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I'm goin' for the SMAW (stick) process with 6011.  I just practiced a bit. Think it'll be quite easy to do.

-Rob

I don't understand, what are you trying to do? At first I thought you wanted to remove the receiver that was "tacked" on (?), then I thought you ment you wanted to grind your welds down so they look good or you can't see them?

First of all, 6011 is not the best choice, it won't work well with the 4130 chrome molly steel of the receiver and whatever exotic shit the trunion is made of, plus 6011 is notoriosly messier. When I tryed to weld a receiver with 6013 it cracked as it hardened, now I use 7018, it leaves less spatter and slag and is the only rod recomended for 4130 chome molly.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:23:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm talking about the new receiver. I obviously don't care about the old one.  And I'd like not to damage the new receiver when I grind down the weld after I weld the two pieces together (trunion and new receiver).

And 7018?  Alright.  7018, probably 3/32" ?

-Rob
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:15:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Just use an angle grinder with a grinding disc, then when it's allmost flush switch to a sanding wheel "flap disc(?)" to blend in the edges.

Good luck and post pics.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:45:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Read this thread about welding AKs together.

welding AKs
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:27:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I read to page 2. What I've always known is that most of these hobby weldors are useing little low power MIGs that can't weld shit. I've seen guys try to weld utilitys names on man hole covers with these and the thing can't even begin to do it, then I get called in. If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it! It ain't for everyone!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:30:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
...If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it! It ain't for everyone!

My point exactly.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:07:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it! It ain't for everyone!

My point exactly.

Yes, BUT, don't say "all weld builds are un-safe!".

Not that you said that, but a lot of people have said/implied that.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:32:18 PM EDT
[#10]
K....so can someone with an answer to my question actually address it as opposed to telling me it's all wrong?

No offense to the people that offered their $0.02.  I appreciate that input. We do have to look out for one another's safety when doing something that could result in severe injury.

Does the 7018 low hydrogen rod work with the presumably 4140 trunion?

-Rob
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:38:07 PM EDT
[#11]
If this trunion truly is 4140, the more I research this, the more I see that Jetweld LH-90 MR is a more appropriate selection.

(E8018-B2 H4R& E9018-G H4R)

I'll see about contacting some professional welders on this one.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:50:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I doubt the trunion is 4140, no one has ever been able to accertain what it is made of, I said the RECEIVER is 4140 (or some other chrome molly steel), however I have recently purcased some spring steel receiver flats, so now I will be doing some thing different.

Oh, and I think I answered your original question, didn't I?
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top