Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/27/2005 7:25:29 PM EDT
Hi:

I just read the article in shotgun news about building a parts kit AK.  I am looking for a underfolder type AK.  Anyone have any suggestions on which kit to get?

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:34:12 PM EDT
[#1]
How much do you plan to spend?
Does it have to be 100% authentic?
Like new or well used?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:48:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I read the same thing, I now have a polish underfolder and a couple Romi kits on the way...
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:44:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Like new or well used?

I'm interested as well in building an underfolder.  This will be my first AK "build".  

Quoted:

I would like to keep the expense around $300.  

Quoted:

No.  this will be strickly a plinker.  It's getting to expensive too shoot my AR.   I would like it to be relatively reliable.

Quoted:
Like new or well used?

Well...whatever keeps me around $300 and is fairly reliable.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:46:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Start with a Romy kit and order an underfolder to go with it. Centerfire systems has both and alltogether the kit will be 100.00 the folder will be about 70.00 and the receiver would run you about 50-65 depending on where you order. and the you would need a rivet set and those sale for about 7-10 a set. All total to about 240.00 more or less. But then you need the tools to build it. Rivet squeezer and press. Just my .02 Oh yeah have fun and get ready to have to get another and another and another. Once you start you can't stop. Welcome to the Darkside!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:16:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Imacbo.  I've done a little research in the past on riveting AK receivers.  I'm not sure it would be worth it to me to buy all the tools neccessary for the job.  Is it possible to get a complete receiver to add to the parts kit?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#6]
It sounds like you would very happy with CenterFires  Romy/Yugo underfolder Kit.

The cheapest and easyist way to build if you only making about 5 or less is a Screw Build.

Read everyting on this site,
here,then decide what you think would be best build method for you.

The only one I wouldn't recommend is the welding method used on the AMD.

Welded in trunnions have been known to break loose and crack the receiver very often.

The AK74 is a screw build.

Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn’t start a newbie out on a miss matched kit like a Romy/Yugo.  The trunnions are not the same width and do not fit the same thickness receiver.  A first timer doesn’t need that problem.  Spend about $20 more and get a matched kit.  I would recommend going to dansammo.com  or dpharms.com and getting a polish underfolder.  If you don’t want to pay for the accessories then pick up a bare bones polish kit from CFS or others.  Get a complete 1mm receiver from globaltrades.com and drill the trunnion holes yourself.  GT can sell you a predrilled one, but they don’t recommend it, and for good reason.  Rivets are the way to go for an underfolder, but do not get Tapco rivets.  Get good ones from K-var or one of the guys on the boards.  All that will put you in the $300 range, and you wont regret it.  922r compliance parts will set you back another $50ish.

Oh, and plan on buying some tools.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the reply's guys. So which kit is best and where should I go to get one?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:02:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I wouldn’t start a newbie out on a miss matched kit like a Romy/Yugo.  The trunnions are not the same width and do not fit the same thickness receiver.  A first timer doesn’t need that problem.  Spend about $20 more and get a matched kit.  I would recommend going to dansammo.com  or dpharms.com and getting a polish underfolder.  If you don’t want to pay for the accessories then pick up a bare bones polish kit from CFS or others.  Get a complete 1mm receiver from globaltrades.com and drill the trunnion holes yourself.  GT can sell you a predrilled one, but they don’t recommend it, and for good reason.  Rivets are the way to go for an underfolder, but do not get Tapco rivets.  Get good ones from K-var or one of the guys on the boards.  All that will put you in the $300 range, and you wont regret it.  922r compliance parts will set you back another $50ish.

Oh my GOOODDDDD!!!!!

don't tell me the Yugo UF trunnions don't match regular 1mm receivers!!  

I've been buying up all the yugo folders I can for romy kits and others

please tell me this isn't a problem for realtively savy AK builder/gunsmith
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:54:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OZZY, Why would he have to go through all that?
Why couldn't he just buy a GT 1.6mm Receiver and have his local gunsmith mill off .6mm per side of the front trunnion?
It took you almost as long to type that answer as it would to mill the trunnion.

Oh my GOOODDDDD!!!!!

don't tell me the Yugo UF trunnions don't match regular 1mm receivers!!  

I've been buying up all the yugo folders I can for romy kits and others

please tell me this isn't a problem for realtively savy AK builder/gunsmith

Now, now, 1Gunner. Be nice
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:58:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I am just saying that I didn't know the Yugo trunnion, made for the Yugo receiver, would require fitting in regular AK receivers
I am not disagreeing, cause I really don't know
I am a bit concerned about this...I never really thought about it
How much bigger is it than usual AK rear trunnions?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:07:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Thanks for the reply's guys. So which kit is best and where should I go to get one?

The Polish UF has higher quality machine work and is all original so you pay for it.

The Romy/Yugo is a Mutt, mutts are ugly,cheap and loveable.

DPH has the Polish UF for $215

CenterFire has the Romy/Yugo UF for about $150
Be warned, the CenterFire deal is running out as it's now only on LOIS's specials of the week page. Lois is the cool girl at CF.

ETA; HERE is a hot deal from MGS down in the EE
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:10:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I am just saying that I didn't know the Yugo trunnion, made for the Yugo receiver, would require fitting in regular AK receivers
I am not disagreeing, cause I really don't know
I am a bit concerned about this...I never really thought about it
How much bigger is it than usual AK rear trunnions?

It's not bigger, it's smaller. By .5mm per side, about .020" (twenty thousandths of one inch)

ETA: like I said in the above post. It's an EASY FIX. The parts are a Credit Card away.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:27:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for being so informative and patient guys.  I never thought I'd get this excited about an AK.  

I looked at MGS's EE thread and it seems to be the best deal at $220.. DPH must have raised their prices b/c of the demand for Polish kits they were talking about on their site.  They're up to $245.  I also went over to globaltrades.com to browse the receivers.  It looks like the only complete receivers they have are for fixed stocked rifles only.  I also didn't see any that were not already drilled.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:38:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Specopronin – The best underfolder kit currently available is the polish underfolder from Dansammo.  Stretch $$ for it if you have to.  You will be glad you did.

1Gunner - A Yugo underfolder trunnion is 1.2mm (.060”) more narrow than a standard trunnion.  You can solve this by either milling off the sides of the front trunnion and using a 1.6mm receiver or by shimming sides of the rear trunnion and using a standard 1mm receiver.  I would go the shim route.  I have never liked the idea of weakening the front trunnion.  And you can make the shims yourself.

Bulletbait:  I have a mill and know from experience that I can type a paragraph in a small fraction of the time than I can mill off a trunnion.  Those that don’t have a mill will also have to figure in the time and expense of having someone else do it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:03:32 AM EDT
[#16]
I think I'll go with just sanding the front of a 1.6mm receiver to 1.0mm and leaving all trunnions original
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#17]
One of the great things about this hobby is that the methods to rebuild AKs are limited only by the ingenuity, tools and materials that each builder has at his/her disposal.  It seems that each builder does at least one thing different from the herd.  So....Happy sanding.  I am thinking a sanding drum on a drill press could save some time.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:22:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I also went over to globaltrades.com to browse the receivers.  It looks like the only complete receivers they have are for fixed stocked rifles only.  I also didn't see any that were not already drilled.  

A couple of questions for 1Gunner:

You suggested a receiver without the holes drilled.   Do you have a link to the ones at globaltrades that are not drilled?  Is it a real no no to get one that has the holes drilled?  Will a noobie be able to pull a build off dilling his own holes?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:35:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I also went over to globaltrades.com to browse the receivers.  It looks like the only complete receivers they have are for fixed stocked rifles only.  I also didn't see any that were not already drilled.  

You suggested a receiver without the holes drilled.   Do you have a link to the ones at globaltrades that are not drilled?  Is it a real no no to get one that has the holes drilled?  Will a noobie be able to pull a build off dilling his own holes?

I aqua-bumped the Tape Trick thread TTT
www.ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=51&t=73197&page=2
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did what?

the trunnion holes on any global receiver are not drilled, all other holes are there though, which is good

drilling your holes is easy (except for an underfolder which i have never done - i'm sending those off to a builder)  you just use the post it note technique for the front  with a hand drill and the drill press stationary axis technique for the rear using a drill press of course.  

ETA: alot of people love the flats with the holes already drilled for trunnions, they match up perfectly for the fixed stock romy and bugly AK-74s, the real bitch is when you have a folding stock and have to fill in those holes with a weld and smooth that out then drill your folding trunnion holes.   I really like not having any holes for the trunnions already drilled, therefore you can create the best front trunnion location based on your trigger guard already riveted and using a sample of each mag type you have, then locating the best rear trunnion location after riveting the front trunnion basedon the actual length of your receiver cover
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:08:36 PM EDT
[#21]
1Gunner,

Drilling out the cutouts for an underfolder isn't really as difficult as it may seem.  I did it perfectly on my first attempt.  I just used the rear trunnion as a template and started off with small drill bit and worked my way up and finished with a dremel.  It couldn't have taken me more than an hour to an hour and a half to finish it.  I've even temporarly assembled it with some temp pins that I made out of a wire coat hanger so I could remove them easily.  The folding stock functioned flawlessly!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I did what?

Sorry it was Ozzy that suggested that.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:01:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Global has some options how you want your receiver prepared....you have seen their site right?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:13:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes.  I have checked out the site.  I just feel kinda like I'm going into this blind.  I've decided on a polish underfolder kit but I have no clue as to what receiver to get.  Will the underfolder will throw me into a certain bracket that will limit me to certain receivers?  

btw - I have also decided to go the rivet route.  Will I just need the rivet pliers to fasten them?

Thanks again guys and please forgive the ignorance.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:18:25 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I did what?

Sorry it was Ozzy that suggested that.

Here is a link to a forum hosted by Global Trades  http://warrifles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=938a9039b804f6737762cf05f72eec47&f=104

IIRC Somewhere in there is a post that says that GT offers receivers predrilled for trunnions, but they only recommend them for new trunnions (that is, they dont recommend them for demil rebuilds).  Basically, you cant count on the trunnion holes being in precisely the same location from kit to kit.  Keep in mind that these kits are from rifles that were produced in various countries/arsenals over an extended period of time.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top