Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/27/2005 12:43:48 AM EDT
For about the price of a kit. I bought a complete SA85M rifle with a Reciever that was never heat treated.

The previous owner shot the rifle until the holes that hold the Fire control group pins became egged-shaped and very sloppy.  
The Butt Stock Tang holes have become egged shaped as well. I have already removed the stock tang from the reciever.

If it is possible I would like to save the original FEG reciever.

SO, I was wondering if you guys thought that TIG welding the holes shut and  Redrilling them would work?
Then maybe heatreating the holes if the Weld will not be hard enough.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

I may just completely replace the reciever

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:27:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I would try welding it (tig) and re-drill. If you really want to replace the receiver, I would like first shot at the old one. Send me some pics.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 11:08:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyones else?
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 2:51:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I did that with a B-West receiver, filled the holes and redrilled. I completly stripped the receiver of everything but the rails. Then had it heat treated, so it wouldn't happen again. It has about 3,000 rds. through it now with no signs of any problems.

Mike
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top