Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/26/2005 4:01:37 PM EDT
Well that is the question. Can I use a MIG welder to install the trunions in a U-Fold-Em type reciever? If I have to I will rivet but a MIG would be so fast and easy.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:26:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I miged the front two rivet spots on 5 builds so far and put the rivets in the rear trunion holes in the Mag well.  After several thousands rounds they seem to be holding up well.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:13:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Well that is the question. Can I use a MIG welder to install the trunions in a U-Fold-Em type reciever? If I have to I will rivet but a MIG would be so fast and easy.

Are you an experienced welder with a mig welder?  Would you be willing and able to weld closed a hole in a front trunion for me?

On one of my first two builds I had a tap break inside one of the holes in my front trunion and in order for me to get the tap out I buggered up that hole pretty good (made it larger).  I have been planning to press out the barrel and find someone that could weld the bugger shut so I could redrill and try again...  This time I am building with rivets...  My kit was a numbers matching kit or I would just get a new trunion...

As for your question at hand...  I would buy an extra tapco flat $12 now and do some practice welds...  The first build party I went to all the guns were built as weld builds and they looked great!  As you can guess I am not a welder myself... well I can't weld yet but perhaps after I master rivets I will try that next
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:26:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you an experienced welder with a mig welder?  Would you be willing and able to weld closed a hole in a front trunion for me?

On one of my first two builds I had a tap break inside one of the holes in my front trunion and in order for me to get the tap out I buggered up that hole pretty good (made it larger).  I have been planning to press out the barrel and find someone that could weld the bugger shut so I could redrill and try again...  This time I am building with rivets...  My kit was a numbers matching kit or I would just get a new trunion...

As for your question at hand...  I would buy an extra tapco flat $12 now and do some practice welds...  The first build party I went to all the guns were built as weld builds and they looked great!  As you can guess I am not a welder myself... well I can't weld yet but perhaps after I master rivets I will try that next

I can do that kind of work if you dont find anyone local.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been wondering the same thing.  I just did my first build, I have no patience for pressing out the barrel pin, head spacing, tapping or rivets.  I just migged them up, fast, easy and has a 'clean' look.  I've shot 500 rounds w/o problems but I'll keep close eye on it.

Quarterbore....drilling at tapping a weld will be no fun.  Just have someone weld it into the receiver for you.  They can most likely even leave a rivet looking 'head' on it for you.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:48:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been planning on TIG'ing my upcomming builds (I weld profesionally) . But  I think the look of the rivit heads gives the AK character, so I will likely tack the rivit heads on too.  Should save a lot of time, effort and wont loosen up over time like rivits can. With a MIG you would just have to do a little grinding after welding.

Kevin
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:50:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm thinking about going this route also.I'm pretty good with a Mig. Do you guys think the excess heat in that area from welding would cause a problem? Would you have to reheat and quench? Hks are welded up,so why not an AK?
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top