Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2005 3:40:53 PM EDT
Let me say first, I have no experience with AK's other that a POS MAK-90, complete with trigger slap and all. I am for the first time looking into getting one. The new rage in AR's is 1/7 twist on barrels to help with the heavier bullets. What twist should I be looking for in AK's? Does it matter? Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:50:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Didn't see any answer for you -- I'll pitch in.

First, unless you're going to get a custom made barrel someplace (and I don't know of one), you don't get to pick.

The twist that comes with the barrel in your parts kit is "correct", whether 7.62 or 5.45. The bullet weights and lengths (two biggest concerns when optimizing twist rate) in these two rounds have changed very little since their respective introductions. Projectiles in all the avialable ammo (excepting the 154gr Wolf in 7.62, which was never an "issue" round) fall within a very narrow size/weight band, and the various rifle manufacturers having been using pretty close to the same rifling configuration forever.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:25:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you. I didn't want to get somehting and then find out 2 months later I could have used a wider array of rounds if I had gotten a different barrel. Thanks for the answer.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:08:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Pretty much any AK will swallow whatever round you shove down its throat, as long as its the right caliber.  Mine has eaten Wolf, Yugo Surplus, Chinese Surplus, Golden Tiger, Silver Bear and Winchester 7.62x39.  Most accurate were Winchester and Yugo.

Joe
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top