Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/25/2005 1:43:24 PM EDT
Received a Bulgy RPK 74 barrel assembly from K-Var last month. Plan on using my SAR 2 as a donor.

Who else has built a Bulgy RPK 74 using a barrel assembly from K-Var? What do I need to know?

What else is needed to complete the build? I'm aware some pins are required.

Should I keep the SAR-2 bolt, bolt carrier, and top cover or purchase Bulgy ones from K-Var? Any benefit using bulgy internals over SAR-2 stuff?

Who should this project be shipped too? Considering checking with Andre at Global since they're a couple of miles from work.

Thanks,
tripntx
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:43:08 PM EDT
[#1]
RPKs use a 1.6 mm receiver and your SAR has a 1.0 mm receiver so it's probably not a good idea to do that and not sure if your builder would even do that anyway.  Get a Bulgy kit from ORF and a Global Trades 1.6 receiver and use your barrel assembly and you'll have a nice firearm, just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:40:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not a purest, just want a long barreled 5.45. A Sar 2 Receiver with 1mm thick receiver will work for my needs, just building a semi-auto bench shooter, therefore 1.6mm receiver isn't needed since it will not be going full-auto as the original RPK was designed for.

My main question is: will my SAR 2 Romanian bolt and bolt carrier provide just as good results as Bulgy parts?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:15:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Well your bolt isnt going to be headspaced to that barrel so you are going to have to do that.  I just thought the weight of the barrel and other factors considering that its longer and everything could put stress on  the receiver and it may not last as long maybe i'm wrong.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top