Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/22/2005 9:29:33 PM EDT
Just got my first build done, a Romy kit from Centerfire.  The kit was in awesome shape compared to a Tantal and an AMD I also got in to build.  Used a Ewbanks receiver and it turned out pretty good.  Had to file the on it in a couple of places but over all it went together pretty easy.  I used the screw method but will probably try the next one with rivets.  10 rounds down range and no problems.  So took it back apart and painted it.  I'll post pics as soon as the DuraCoat dries!

Thanks for all the help guys.  I wouldn't have even tried this if it hadn't been for this site!!

http://www.hunt101.com/img/327206.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/img/327207.jpg
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#1]
while you are at it, you might as well strip it down, degrease, and (if oyu haven't already)red locktite then reasemble, then paint.   right?

cheap spray on (squirt bottel) degreaser works pretty good, and you can nuetralize any spills or skin contact using vinegar) but don't put vinegar on your gun, it combines with the base to form salt.

Grill and oven cleaner "off" f yellow can, works REALLY good, it removes blueing too, if left on there.  IT will also strip off AMD paint, if left on for a few hours. But it does form a slight surface dusting of corrosion on the metal (as it eats the metal) nothing a cheap wire brush on a drill press won't clean up.  And wear gloves, so you don't get oils from your hands on the gun before oyu paint.

DOn't do like me, and forget to degrease the barrel too...

Congradulations on your first build.    

What kind of paint were you going to use?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:14:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Post them pics!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:48:42 PM EDT
[#3]
nice job!!
very, very motivating!!

how did you apply the duracoat?  air brush? spray can?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:53:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
nice job!!
very, very motivating!!

how did you apply the duracoat?  air brush? spray can?

Air brush I got from Lauer when I ordered the DuraCoat.  It worked great except for the air can freezing up.  Next time I'll hook my air compressor up to it.
http://www.lauerweaponry.com/index.cfm?Category=600&Subcat=Airbrush%20Kits
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:53:06 PM EDT
[#5]
nice job, hope my first turns out as well. I either made some good progress today or scrapped my first receiver, I'll know soon enough.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:57:01 PM EDT
[#6]
nice.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks great, now you will have to get another, and another, and another......
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:06:52 AM EDT
[#8]
rifle looks great job well done congrats
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:08:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Take that saw grip off and it'll look professional!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:11:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Take that saw grip off and it'll look professional!

Leave it on........ it looks good
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:03:27 PM EDT
[#11]
When my followers and floor plates come in, the original grip goes back on and I'm putting an AMD break on it.  Using the saw grip on an AMD pistol with the slant break from the Romy.  Think they will both look pretty cool!

Just got my barrell out of the AMD and am waiting on my GT receiver, they shut down for a few days due to Rita but are opening back up this week on Wed.  Can't wait to get that receiver in so I can get that AMD pistol put together.

And another, and another, and another, dang 18BSOTTM was right!!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:18:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Did you rivet or do the screw build?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:23:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Did you rivet or do the screw build?

Screw build.  Went together pretty easy.
No broken taps in this one, but I was going to screw together an AMD pistol night before last and broke a tap.  Made a mess trying to get it out.  I now have broken tap removers on order!!!  Got the barrel out and now its gonna be rivets in the AMD.  Next project is to make those mods on a bolt cutter.
This is addicting!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:58:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice job on the build. It looks great for a first one and you can be proud of it..  I have seen a lot worse.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top