Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/22/2005 4:37:40 AM EDT
Built last night with a DPH arms Romy AIM kit, plum k-var stockset, spray painted Polish synthetic mag, and 14x1 lookalike AK-74 brake on a GT 1.0 receiver.  Still need to refinish the metal though.  This is my second build.  Comments are welcome!

Sudboy

plum AK74 wannabe

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:45:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Not bad at all! Gave me and idea on what to do with my other romy kit....
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:19:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I like it! I added the Bulge plum to one of my Rommy builds and like the way it turned out.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:43:25 AM EDT
[#3]
looks good
how much do you think a bulgarian plum stock set slightly scuffed from storage is worth?
has a plum US made grip
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:38:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Nicely done.  What are your plans for refinishing the metal?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:34:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Nicely done.  What are your plans for refinishing the metal?

Semi gloss black moly-resin.  Since you asked, and since I know you use moly-resin too, can you tell me what you use to power your airbrush?  I have a badger350 myself.

Sudboy
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:59:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, the Badger works great, but paint thinner does jack squat to the moly resin.  You have to use the Methyl Ethl Keytone to clean up the airbrush, its the only stuff that will do it.

I'm using a gigantic Sanborn air compressor that also powers our bead blasting cabinet.  Unregulated it runs as 120 psi, so I regulate that bad boy down to about 60 before running the airbrush.  Anything between 60 and about 35 psi seems to work just fine.  If the pressure builds up too much I run the airbrush with air only for a few seconds to bleed it down, then pull back on the lever to start the moly flowing.  That's why a dual-action airbrush is absolutely necessary for this kind of work IMHO.

P.S. Norrell's HK Socom Black is what I would recommend to go with the plum furniture.  Did you see the pics of the G3 I did in that?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:02:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Built last night with a DPH arms Romy AIM kit, plum k-var stockset, spray painted Polish synthetic mag, and 14x1 lookalike AK-74 brake on a GT 1.0 receiver.  Still need to refinish the metal though.  This is my second build.  Comments are welcome!

Sudboy

plum AK74 wannabe

What brand and type?

That Romy looks great.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:47:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Sudboy

plum AK74 wannabe

What brand and type?

That Romy looks great.

Rust-Oleum Camouflage brown.  It's the closest match I've been able to find.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Acetone will also work to clean the airbrush after moly-resin.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:12:32 PM EDT
[#10]
where did you get the brake?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:02:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
where did you get the brake?

The brake came from Global Trades in Houston; it's an A-645

Sudboy
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:28:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Sudboy, you teach me how to build an AK receiver and I'll DuraCoat your gun in whatever color you want.  Seriously, I just ordered my very first 2 romy kits from AIM today, and other than the research done tonight I have no clue how to build an AK.  I'll also supply the suds while we work
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top