Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/20/2005 10:15:55 AM EDT
I have been searching for the receiver reinforcement plates to be used with folders or AK-pistols and nobody seems to have them...  For those that don't know what I am talking about here is some references:

www.quarterbore.net/forums/showthread.php?t=543

In the post on the EE with the Vector AKM you can see a small plate between the pistol grip and receiver... can someone confirm this is one of the plates I am searching for?  

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=122&t=297072

If so, is it accurate to guess that if I was to simply take a pistol grip and trace it in 1.0 or 1.6 mm steel (I have seen references of using both (see links on my forum) that this is what the finished product should look like?

Following are the images from the sale link in the EE

I riveted my rear rivet in place (behing trigger guard and where front of reinfocement plats is supposed to be riveted) on my AMD-65 build and I really don't want to remove the rivet but I might just cut a piece that fits around the TG and spot weld it to the receiver as one would otherwise be attached...  It would give me some practice before my next build...

When I do my other builds I want to make sure I get them right.... (PMKMS, Tantial, Rommy Sidefolder)...  thanks for any advise but I assume this is what I see in that pic!

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:54:16 AM EDT
[#1]
thats what it looks to be
the plates arnt vary much 12-15 bucks
its not worth making 1 for that price
if it dosnt fit correct it will hurt your hand when you fire the rifle
jnewt and tantal both had them last i checked

PS you will have to remove the rear rivet to install it
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:32:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I know the rivet is "suposed" to through it... but would it be bad to notch the thing and just spot weld it to the receiver?  

I guess I am just being lazy but darn the rivets in my AMD-65 build look nice and for me to remove that squashed rivet inside the receiver may be a real PITA at this point!  I gess I could dremmel from the bottom and support the inside of the receiver and use a center punch to pound it into the receiver but there is a chance it could much up the hole, dent the receiver, or just make me sear at myself for being anal...

So...  tell me again why it is a bad idea to just spot weld the sucker to the receiver?

Oh yea... I got tired of e-mailing and looking around.  I sent an e-mail to a company that does laser cutting of steel to get a quote and perhaps I will get a few hundred of these made for myself and a few friends....  I'll hve to see what they say a minimum order is and what the setup fees run but I have tried everywhere I can find a reference to them having these and nobody has them...  I will try jnewt now!

Oh yea, I assume the 1.6mm is the way to go right?

Edit:  I heard back from the shop...  they can make these and they are working on a quote for me...  I need to figre out how I can organize a group buy or I am going to jhave to buy hundreds of these things and sell them... then I will need to become a dealer all because I couldn't find a stupid chip sized piece of steel...  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:35:15 PM EDT
[#3]
There pretty easy to install, i drilled five holes on mine and spot welded it to the receiver with my mig welder, quit being lazy and just grind off your rivet and install it the proper way. The plate has a lip that sits on the inside of the trigger guard, if you cut a "notch" in the plate this lip would not be there, also the trigger guard sits on the reinforcement plate which in turns lowers the trigger guard just a tad which gives it the original look. I bought a couple from ohiorapidfire, i had to modify mine to fit a little because the hole they drilled was too close to the lip, but five minutes with a hammer and a vise took care of that problem.  McM reinforcement plate
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:37:02 PM EDT
[#4]
This may help from Pookie

Personally, I would not install it if it weren't installed correctly. That one rear rivet can be done on a hunk of metal and the head is covered by the grip anyway.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, the AMD-65 I am building may not need this anyways as the AMD-65 trunion is much stronger and longer in the rear of the receiver then a underfolder or most sidefolder trunions...

I had tried to e-mail these guys for info on these previously and got no reply...  I put an order in via their webpage and I will see if I get them...  Ialso got an e-mail fron Tantial finally and he indicated he is out but will be getting more...

PS Anybody ever see one of these on an AMD-65 yet...  I mean an original AMD-65...  I have not...  Also, I assume these are not correct for the Yugo M-92s as those have a long pice that the pistol trip attaches to and they are sactened with three rivets.  I assume these 3-rivet pieces are what reinfoce the Yugo M-92s.

I do assume that the PMKMS and Tantial as well as the Rommy folders should have these as well as some others...

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#6]
ive har to remove the rear rivet
instead of taking a chance on messin somethan up
grind it flat center punch and drill it out with a 11/64 drill bit
cut down a long rivet and use that
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I bet you could do it in emachineshop.com and spit those babies out for about .35 cents a piece.

Here's a receiver I did on that: I think when I priced it just for kicks it was like 5.25 each for 50 or so..

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
thats what it looks to be
the plates arnt vary much 12-15 bucks
its not worth making 1 for that price
if it dosnt fit correct it will hurt your hand when you fire the rifle
jnewt and tantal both had them last i checked
PS you will have to remove the rear rivet to install it

Rapidfire has them 13 buck plus 9+ in shipping - $22.00 for a little piece of metal - RIP OFF.  Screw em.  There's gotta be a better way.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Rapidfire is out and will be out for several weeks (best guess I was given on the phone was 3+ weeks but they really didn't know)...

I hope I willl have the quote back and I have tenative permission from the staff here to do a Group Buy but it will take some time to get the quotes, confirm the specs, and work out the GB details...  But yea, we need to find a solution...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I bet you could do it in emachineshop.com and spit those babies out for about .35 cents a piece.

Here's a receiver I did on that: I think when I priced it just for kicks it was like 5.25 each for 50 or so..

www.picyard.com/main/data/500/11emachine.jpg

E-mail sent
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:04:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I have never seen an AMD65 with the plate - but they didn't come in with demilled receiver chunks. I do know that the plate makes a bit of difference in the feel of the stiffness of a stamped receiver especially with a folding stock.

The tab that wraps up the back side of the trigger guard appears to be a very important part of the plate. In the case of a folder shot with the stock folded, more of the recoil energy is transmitted through the pistol grip. The pistol grip puts forward pressure on the trigger guard during recoil. The tab is meant to reinforce the triggerguard.

Here is a picture of a AMD65 project with a homemade plate on it. The receiver is a bent metal .050" and the plate is .100" 4130 copied from a polish PMKMS receiver plate. The plate doesn't interfer with the operation of the folder in any way. Not exactly a work of art, but you get the idea

s & p

http://www.picyard.com/main/data/500/258AMD65_with_plate.JPG
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:42:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the pic!

I did get a reply from Ted and he does have these...

Ted Marshall <[email protected]> $15/ea

I am going to order a few for my builds...  I am still waiting on the quote however to have a GB on a batch.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:19:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I am still waiting on the quote however to have a GB on a batch.

Keep us updated on this.... If you get a buy together on these plates, I'd be in for a few.

Do the Yugo's use these also?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:11:57 AM EDT
[#14]
The drawing above is good but I see no measure for thicknes. Anybody have that
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:32:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The drawing above is good but I see no measure for thicknes. Anybody have that

Pookie's site said he made his out of .065" (1.6mm) 4130 sheet steel.

Here is as much info on these as i have been able to compile...  

www.quarterbore.net/forums/showthread.php?t=543

I still have not got info back from the shop on the quote...  They may be sending it to me as a written proposal and contract so it may take some time until I hear back from them...

Note that Pookie shows that different grips fit differently so coming up with the final size and dimensions is important if we have a bunch of these made up!  ( see:pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK/docs/construction/trigger_guard.htm )
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:44:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
...  quit being lazy and just grind off your rivet and install it the proper way....

I checked, these are not correct for an AMD-65 so I got lucky...

I was going to build an undeffolder next but the plates I ordered still didn't arive yet so I built a fixed stock PMKM instead...  I really do want to do my underfolder right and I am planning to do the same with my tantial build.

Also, I thought these were spot welded fast with a spot welder... I noticed above you used a mig weldes as did Pookie.  Is there reason to believe that the spot welds would not be strong enough?  I plan to spot weld mine fast...

Oh yea, can I upload your pic to my thread on my site as sooner or late this thread will drop down into the archives here...  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:19:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
www.gunco.net/gallery/data/500/plate.jpg

Kevin, can you get those plates made???  How much do you think?   I bet you could sell em pretty easily.  Have em made then do a group buy perhaps.    Just a thought.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:14:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Kevin, can you get those plates made???  How much do you think?   I bet you could sell em pretty easily.  Have em made then do a group buy perhaps.    Just a thought.

Underway at Gunco
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Underway at Gunco

I hate that place.  i never can look at anything there!  

machinehead, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation. Please note that in order to post on this board, you must be a registered user.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top