Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2005 4:46:07 PM EDT
Is there anyway to cut an AK to accept AR Mags?  Has anyone done this yet?  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:16:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok everybodies thinking it...."WTF would you wanna do that?"
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:31:04 PM EDT
[#2]
you have to tell us why so we can explain to you that it is a silly idea and then explain to you what you should really be trying to do, seriously...

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:42:49 PM EDT
[#3]
To me it would be the perfect platform.  The robustness, reliability and handling of an AK; utilizing the most abundant round and magazine to date.  Ontop of the fact, I prefer the 5.56 round to the 5.45 or 7.62x39.  I have considered purchasing a LW piston driven AR but I do not trust them enough.  To me they are untested still b/c they are not combat proven.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I have seen a magazine converter that you attach just like a normal AK mag, and it holds an AR magazine. I don't remember where I saw it, or what it's name was. but it does exist.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:34:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Uh, pardon me for asking but....aren't there 5.56mm X 45mm magazines made for AK's out there? Why not use those?

They are readily available. Using adapters for magazines is (In my opinion) is a very bad idea. The AK is a Battle Rifle...reliability is NOT an option, and adapters are just one more thing that can go wrong.

If you prefer the 5.56mm round for it's accuracy, then you are bound for dissapointment when using it in a AK format. The AK's have larger tolerences than AR's do, and you cannot expect the same accuracy out of an AK as an AR, especially with a round like the 5.56mm: one with average accuracy as it is. I have NO experience with the 5.45mm round, but I have shot a lot of 7.62mm and in an AK the round is a very decent performer.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have seen a magazine converter that you attach just like a normal AK mag, and it holds an AR magazine. I don't remember where I saw it, or what it's name was. but it does exist.

Yeah, sounds like that adaptor for the Galil to take AR mags.  No way to make a regular AK take an AR mag, unless somehow you're going to cut holes in your receiver and figure out a way to get an AR mag catch to fit .  IIRC, the 5.56 AK mags are modified 5.45 mags, but I don't know the details on what exactly the modification is or how easy it is to do yourself.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:15:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, sounds like that adaptor for the Galil to take AR mags.  No way to make a regular AK take an AR mag, unless somehow you're going to cut holes in your receiver and figure out a way to get an AR mag catch to fit .  IIRC, the 5.56 AK mags are modified 5.45 mags, but I don't know the details on what exactly the modification is or how easy it is to do yourself.  

An AK 5.56x45 mag has less of a curve on the mag body than an AK 5.45x39 mag does.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:32:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

An AK 5.56x45 mag has less of a curve on the mag body than an AK 5.45x39 mag does.

I've heard of 5.45 mags being modified to handle 5.56.  Anybody know what I'm talking about ?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:22:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've heard of 5.45 mags being modified to handle 5.56.  Anybody know what I'm talking about ?

That's exactly what came with my SAR-3. I believe they replace the follower. I've read that a standard mag will work if you only load it 2/3 full. I've seen a SAR-3 with the AR mag adapter. The mag well had to be cut to fit and the adapter was secured with screws. I did not check the operation, but they do exist. Its the only one I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:56:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
you have to tell us why so we can explain to you that it is a silly idea and then explain to you what you should really be trying to do, seriously...

like I said before, I knew you were up to some brilliant plan that has already been experimented with.  If you want a 5.56 AK, buy a 5.56 AK and use the correct mags.  

A 10 foot tall pile of abundant mags won't help when they aren't reliable because you afro-american engineered them to fit.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:07:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I have also played with the idea...  I do believe it is possible as I have sat with my SAR-3 and M-16 mags...  The mag catch is one or the bigger issues but if we can convert a AK to 9mm making it take M-16 mags is easy....

Right now i am trying to learn to build nice AKs the way they were supposed to be made...  There will come a time (perhaps in 25+ years when I retire ) that I will have the time to work on this...  It should be possible but you may need to do some mods to the bottom of the receiver and lower rails or you may end up with an AK that will only accept M-16 mags...  Still... it would be different and I like different...
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:18:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Does anyone know where I can purchase one of these Galil adapters?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:44:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I've done it to five mags.  Robinson Armament, based in Utah, makes replacement magazine followers that turn 5.45 mags into 5.56 mags.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Does anyone know where I can purchase one of these Galil adapters?

VULCAN
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:09:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's my Yugo Krink that I converted to .223.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:13:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got a better idea.  Figure out a way to put AK mags on an AR.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:21:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

AR-47 and SR-47 recievers.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:27:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
To me it would be the perfect platform.  The robustness, reliability and handling of an AK; utilizing the most abundant round and magazine to date.  Ontop of the fact, I prefer the 5.56 round to the 5.45 or 7.62x39.  I have considered purchasing a LW piston driven AR but I do not trust them enough.  To me they are untested still b/c they are not combat proven.  

And AKs converted to use AR mags are combat tested?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:10:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AR-47 and SR-47 recievers.

how are those ar-47s? worth a damn?
those things look dead sexy to me....
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:19:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Haven't used one.
But I'll say this, for the cost of an 7.62upper, I can get an AK.
For the cost of the lower reciever, I can get an AK.

For what it would cost to build an AR15 to use AK mags, I could have a pretty sweet AK.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#21]
WOW!!! What A Great Idea!!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:56:56 PM EDT
[#22]
The AR mag is a cheap POS, why anyone would want to use it for anything, let alone in another rifle is beyond me.

Buy a regular AK in .223 and use proper mags.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top