Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/18/2005 4:07:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:28:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, with the right press fixtures the barrel can be pressed out of a finished rifle.  If you are removing the trunnion from a cut receiver it is best to press the barrel out first so you don't drill into it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:01:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I used a 12" socket extension to press one out - it worked fine.  I just put a nickel on the barrel and pressed it out.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:17:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:41:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I used a 12" socket extension to press one out - it worked fine.  I just put a nickel on the barrel and pressed it out.

was this from a trunnion and FULL reciever???

I would like to ONLY remove the barrel of a FULLY built rifle.

Of course you have to remove the stock also to do this.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:44:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:43:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, you can remove the barrel without removing any rivets or trunnions.

Remove the stock / bolt carrier/trigger/hammer/etc., press out the barrel pin, set up the receiver with the barrel pointing down on a 12 ton press supported with appropriate blocks, place a couple of nickels on the end of the barrel, put a 3/8" 12" socket extension on the end of the barrel using the nickels as buffers, press the barrel out.

The socket extension is used with the square end towards the press.  It being tough and fairly narrow will stick up over the end of the rear tang when in place at a slight angle - the barrel will press out fine with the extension at an angle - just take it slow.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:20:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top