Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2005 7:00:52 PM EDT
I am looking to get an ak parts kit, and build it up in  a few years when finances allow. I would like to get one before the prices go up any more, and have about 250 to spend, my only stipulation is i has to have a great barrel. I plan on refinishing it, and getting some synthetic furniture for it. All imput is welcome!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Check these out!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:17:38 PM EDT
[#2]
If you don't have any AK's I would consider 2 Romys. If thats too much then the Polish underfolder.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:27:00 PM EDT
[#3]
you could get a romanian kit and some plum usa furniture from www.k-var.com and a tapco USA trigger group, all for under the price you quoted.  

that would be one sexy gun.

I would deffinitely get a reciever too, even if you don't build it now, you will ahve all the parts to build it,a nd you never know when some politician is going to pass some idiot law.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:19:58 AM EDT
[#4]
If your going to replace the wood, RUN don't walk over to the Ohio HTF and check out this deal for $246 you could buy 3 kits!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:20:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I think im going to pick up a couple from the group buy. Can someone make a suggestion on a good receiver?
How are these ones? the price looks good to me!
dpharms.com/ewbanks-ak47-receiver-no-trunion-holes-p-114.html
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:37:06 PM EDT
[#6]
The ewbanks recievers are really nice and dph is great to deal with.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:04:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd go with the Global 1.0mm receiver.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Well, I know for a fact that the Global 1.0mm is a good one.   But maybe the ewbanks is decent also.   I'm still amazed but how expansive these are.  A piece of metal, bent - suddenly the Govt says "that's a gun" and taxes it big time.   Then my FFL gets a nice piece of the action for the transfer of that "gun" - a worthless piece of sheet metal bent in a couple of locations.

Oh well, the really fun stuff usually isn't free.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:57:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I know for a fact that the Global 1.0mm is a good one.   But maybe the ewbanks is decent also.   I'm still amazed but how expansive these are.  A piece of metal, bent - suddenly the Govt says "that's a gun" and taxes it big time.   Then my FFL gets a nice piece of the action for the transfer of that "gun" - a worthless piece of sheet metal bent in a couple of locations.

Very true indeed!  Pretty crazy when you think about it!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:34:08 PM EDT
[#10]
ORF has bulgy 74 kits for 270 they look nice too for once.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:34:41 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm still amazed but how expansive these are.  A piece of metal, bent - suddenly the Govt says "that's a gun" and taxes it big time.  

The Govt does not have any tax on a receiver, just a completed rifle.
That's why a lot of us build ARs from a stripped lower.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:55:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about the cost for even less metal, let's say for a third hole?  

Also, I don't think the cost of receivers is high at all.  $50-$100 for a precision bent piece of sheetmetal is very reasonable.  Especially one that can build a functioning rifle.  Have you ever priced plasic parts before?  Gas tanks?  Any motorcycle part?  Talk about not getting what you pay for--tiny plastic parts are $20 and big plastic parts (farings) are an easy $500.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought a Polish underfolder from Bob at Akron Armory and My barrel is super shiny and mint, which is a little better than I can say for the finish on the area just below the rear sight- it's a little dinged and scratched from some jackass pole using a screwdriver to move the takedown latch...
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top