Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/13/2005 7:51:41 AM EDT
If you go to harborfreightusa.com and look at their current sale fliers you will find the 20-ton press on sale for $179.99

www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/tabviewer/startBrowseBook.do?bookid=95&preview=&type=RET&simple=
Look at page 12!!!

Then if you go to:

ww2.harborfreightusa.com/showpage_retail.taf?pageid=202&email=

You see a coupon for another 20% off (even sale items).

I already have a 12-ton but I am getting a 20-ton tonight...  

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:18:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the heads up, Quarterbore!

I picked one up at lunch.  $155.87 OTD!

One more item off my list of build tools taken care of.

JakeA
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:42:33 AM EDT
[#2]
is this all you need or do you need an air compresor?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:04:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
is this all you need or do you need an air compresor?

You do not need an air compressor to build an AK...

Tools you need to build an AK range a great deal and people do them without a press but the press makes it MUCH ... did I say MUCH easier!

Other tools you need:

1.  Dremmel Tool
2.  Drill Press (People do them without one but Drill Press is much better)
3.  Hammer and a few punches
4.  tools to either screw or rivet the beast together

Beyond those three tools, most everything else is optional but might include...

Plinker Riveting Jig (Or Bolt Cutter Riviting tool)
Xyebec barrel press or comparable press kit from AK-builder
Trigger Guard Riveting jig (could be done with bucking bars as that is all the trigger guard jig really is)
Flat bending jig if you want to bend flats

Now.. You will also want to check your headspace...  I would rent or borrow these unless you are doing several builds or you like to collect tools like me

I have several of the above described on my site:

www.quarterbore.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 12:55:23 PM EDT
[#4]
occaar,

This is all you need to buy to have a functioning 20-ton press.

The Harbor Freight presses are not air-powered.  They use a captive inverted hydraulic jack as the pressure source.  The hydraulic jack is similar to the ones some cars have (but much bigger) and uses a manual lever arm to "pump" the jack.

JakeA
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:27:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks for the heads up, Quarterbore!

I picked one up at lunch.  $155.87 OTD!

One more item off my list of build tools taken care of.

JakeA

Did it come with plates?  They're in the photo, but the ad doesn't say they're included.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:44:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I just got home from the Road trip to get mine...  I just confirmed and yes it does have the plates....

I forgot how much bigger this is then the 12-ton!  I never had issues with the 12-ton I have been using but it will  flex and twist a little with a stubborn barrel pin but I wanted the 20-ton as there are times that the 12-ton doesn't have a whole lot of room....

I think I will keep the 12-ton as it is portable and great for build parties while the 20-ton is too heavy for me to cart around.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#7]
QB- If you ever want to sell your 12-ton, drop me a line.  I'm meaning to get one as soon as funds clear up.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:37:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
QB- If you ever want to sell your 12-ton, drop me a line.  I'm meaning to get one as soon as funds clear up.

I will sell it...  it hasn't been used much so I can't give it away but it is used so I can do a little better then you can get a new one for...  I will consider it yours but expect us to use it at the build party

At least you know it will build an AK as yours is about 75% done from using it right?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:02:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the information, I got one this afternoon.  With the sale price and the 20% off it was just a little more than the 12 ton.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:39:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I just got home from the Road trip to get mine...  I just confirmed and yes it does have the plates....
snip

Thanks for the info Quarterbore.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I will sell it...  it hasn't been used much so I can't give it away but it is used so I can do a little better then you can get a new one for...  I will consider it yours but expect us to use it at the build party hock.gif

At least you know it will build an AK as yours is about 75% done from using it right?

Sweet.  I have no problem bringing it to build parties.  Maybe we can do some building in October or November and I will buy it off you then.  Just let me know how much you need.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:20:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Northern Hydraulic was/is selling their 12 ton for 89$.  If you've got a Northern (Northern Tool, Northern Hydraulic) in town, that's a deal. It's the same Chinese thing that Harbor is selling.

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top