Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/11/2005 1:12:34 PM EDT
What method proves best and most economical for doing the riveting??
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:19:50 PM EDT
[#1]
modified bolt cutter  rivet tool cost me a whole $10 and an hour worth of work
I would say it is economical since I have done 2 builds with it
I dont know if it is the best but works just fine for me

BLM
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#2]
BLM, can the bolt cutters be modified to do all the rivets on the front trunnion?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:18:55 PM EDT
[#3]
But how does someone do the rivets on the rear or on an underfolder ? I have seen a lot of info on building but am still searching for step by step info on the riveting process. I am starting to think of the screw build process.
I really am not crazy about going that way but what's the point on buying and waiting to have jigs delivered that cost more than some kits only to do 2-4 rifles. With the state of kit building in limbo now for the future it may not be worthwhile to purchase a jig. If we had unlimited supplies of barrels it would be a different story since most of these jigs should last a good long time.

Rich
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:06:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Screw it-- I'm getting a Plinker's jig and a 20-ton press. AKs aren't the only things that need riveting in my life-- and if I buy a few more kits, it will all average out. (My wife should never have shown me how to set up an Excel spreadsheet! )
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:28:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
But how does someone do the rivets on the rear or on an underfolder ? I have seen a lot of info on building but am still searching for step by step info on the riveting process. I am starting to think of the screw build process.
I really am not crazy about going that way but what's the point on buying and waiting to have jigs delivered that cost more than some kits only to do 2-4 rifles. With the state of kit building in limbo now for the future it may not be worthwhile to purchase a jig. If we had unlimited supplies of barrels it would be a different story since most of these jigs should last a good long time.

Rich

On a fixed stock AK you can set the long rear rivets in a vise.  Use a flat steel plate on one side and a steel plate with a divot for the rivet head on the other side.  Rivet should stick out about 3/16" before pressing in the vise and 1/16" after sqweezing.  

For a underfolder, it's my understanding that you need a pair of 36" bolt cutters so the jaws have enough reach for the rear rivets.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
BLM, can the bolt cutters be modified to do all the rivets on the front trunnion?

Yes,  but you need to buy the 36 inch bolt cutters to reach all the ones on the rear of an underfolder.
I got a hole 10 in my rIvet tools bolt cutters $10,vice free,1/4 steel plates free
and just a little time making the plates

BLM
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:48:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I finished the front rivets on my polish folder using 24" HF bolt cutters.
I also found that I could reach the lower rear rivet by going through PG hole though I haven't squeezed it yet because I still need to weld the rails.

I am out of the state right now or I would post a pic.

Good luck,

The Other Chris
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top