Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2005 1:07:48 PM EDT
Last night when I got home from work at 3:00 am, I had a new kit. I couldn't wait, so I drilled out the rear trunion. And broke a drill bit in the lower rivet! I got it out by drilling bigger and driving it out. But when I went to the bigger bit, I warbled one side of the hole about 1/32". It romoved most of the counter sinking surface. Is it still useable? I haven't done a build yet, because I'm waiting for tools. Will the rivet swell enough to work safely? I'm thinking of using this one for my first build. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#1]
You sould be ok with rivets.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:33:29 AM EDT
[#2]
You can probably use it as is
since it is rear it does not get so after you make sure you have driven out all remains of old rivit you could fill with JB weld and redrill
I would not use JB weld anywhere that gets hot.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:31:10 AM EDT
[#3]
The only trouble that you might have is that the rivet might bow in the oversized hole and as a result not be long enough to form a good head, much like Tapco rivets do in a normal sized hole.  If you are using Tapco rivets in the oversized hole, it would be double bad (or even bad squared).  The right sized rivets (that is, non Tapco) will probably be OK, depending on how much of the hole is oversized.  If you fill the hole with JB weld and redrill, you should be good as new.  Once it is put together, your sin will be hidden from view.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:09:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you all. I will just hide the tubes of JB, and nobody will ever know.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:44:35 AM EDT
[#5]
People have used JB weld to patch engine blocks.  Don't worry about the heat.

How hot does a rear trunon get anyways?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:46:45 AM EDT
[#6]
why not just go to the next size larger rivet?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:21:38 PM EDT
[#7]
You need to drill out the rear trunnion to 3/16 anyway and use a "real" rivet, unlike Tapco's skinny rivets. 3/16 will fill the hole completely with no snaking. Need correct rivets? SEE THIS
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:53:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You need to drill out the rear trunnion to 3/16 anyway and use a "real" rivet, unlike Tapco's skinny rivets. 3/16 will fill the hole completely with no snaking. Need correct rivets? SEE THIS

e-mail sent I need rivets
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:36:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

e-mail sent I need rivets

Got it....just use the link and post your intentions there....thanks!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#10]
do you mean 2 rivets are 1 3/8 " long? and are any of those rivets swell neck type?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:04:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
do you mean 2 rivets are 1 3/8 " long? and are any of those rivets swell neck type?

No. The 2 for the rear trunnion are 3/16 x 1.5". No swell necks. You will have to drill the rear trunnion with a 3/16 bit and the rivets will fit perfect.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top