Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/10/2005 6:56:20 AM EDT
Id like to see some radical builds. Changing of sight blocks, rail systems, forward grips, collapsable or telescoping stocks, optics, etc.

Just looking for ideas for a SAR3 i have laying around.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:58:30 AM EDT
[#1]
okay here is mine, romy with cut down rear site block, gas tube, piston. i also moved the gas block and rsb back. i then cut doen the lower handgaurd  to fit. to me it is kind of a krink wanna be, but i will be putting on a milspec rail that hinges off of the rsb ( ie krink style ) and secures the front of the action cover

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:41:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Aww common guys 70 veiws and one response???
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:25:15 PM EDT
[#3]

.45ACP Conversion

Closed bolt, blowback operation
M3 Greasegun magazines
MAC10 Greasegun Conversion Magwell
RPK and Polytech barrel blocks
Barrel is a 16.5" replacement used on the semi-auto Thompson.  I turned it in my lathe to accept the barrel blocks and fit the trunnion.
Polish buttstock, pistol grip, and upper handguard
Russian RPK lower handguard

Trunnion was welded and remachined.
Receiver was shortened 0.800" at the front.
Carrier was machined to allow bolt to slide straight back.
Cocking handle was moved back 0.800" to allow cases to eject.
Bolt stem had 0.800" cut from the back end.
Bolt was welded into carrier.
Various other mods and custom fitting.

I had problems with cases not ejecting properly, but that was fixed with some machine work on the bolt.  This thing is REALLY fun to shoot.  I still don't have the metal ferrule on the lower handguard in this pic.  At the time of this post, the paint is drying on the ferrule, so I'll install it later.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:58:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
www.picyard.com/main/data/500/30ak_45_assembled.jpg

.45ACP Conversion

M3 Greasegun magazines
Barrel is a 16.5" replacement used on the semi-auto Thompson.  I turned it in my lathe to accept the barrel blocks and fit the trunnion.

I had problems with cases not ejecting properly, but that was fixed with some machine work on the bolt.  This thing is REALLY fun to shoot.  I still don't have the metal ferrule on the lower handguard in this pic.  At the time of this post, the paint is drying on the ferrule, so I'll install it later.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:05:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
www.picyard.com/main/data/500/30ak_45_assembled.jpg

.45ACP Conversion

M3 Greasegun magazines

Little ugly but I am impressed, certainly unique.  Do you use the grip on the magwell, is it akward?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:51:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Is this radical enough for you?

It's a screw build, but I'm going to redo it with rivets and refinish it. It's a sweet shooter.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:21:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Pretty Gun Coyote3.

I just wandered into this forum on a whim.

Never knew you could build your own aks

How horrible is the receiver assembly task?

How do you guys bend the receivers if you don't have nice fancy metal shop equipment?

finally, can anyone do this... or do you need an ffl gunsmithing license (or something to that effect?)
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:20:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=35204

It's a screw build, but I'm going to redo it with rivets and refinish it. It's a sweet shooter.

WOW
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:38:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Pretty Gun Coyote3.

I just wandered into this forum on a whim.

Never knew you could build your own aks

How horrible is the receiver assembly task?

How do you guys bend the receivers if you don't have nice fancy metal shop equipment?

finally, can anyone do this... or do you need an ffl gunsmithing license (or something to that effect?)

Bending flats is easy as long as you have a flat bending jig and a press...

Here is the process using a 555th jig:

www.quarterbore.net/forums/showthread.php?t=164

I am renting a DPH jig now which is a newer design flat bending jig.  The single handiest tools you need are a dremmel, small (cheap OK) drill press, and a 12-ton or larger H-press.  Some people do this without the press but the press makes it so easy and you can find lots of other uses for the press after you have it.

Now coyote3 what are those grips, where did you get them, and what work was needed to make them work?

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:01:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Now coyote3 what are those grips, where did you get them, and what work was needed to make them work?

The front grip is a real Thompson grip available through Sarco Inc. I hand-carved the rear grip from scratch using a piece of Sugar Maple.

To make the front grip fit, the through hole for the grip screw had to be slightly enlarged and drilled at an angle, to be able to use the AMD-stlyle grip hardware. It can be done easily with a hand drill.

The rear grip was a bit more work. I used a 1" wide Polish pistol grip ferrule and carved the grip to fit while making the profile similar to a Thompson pistol grip.

The hardest part was finishing three different kinds of wood to get a similar-looking finish.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:06:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=35204

Is this you "commie tommy gun" or "tommy commie gun"?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:22:25 AM EDT
[#12]
pooby you beat me to it!!

First thing I thought was COMMIE TOMMY!!  Thats very cool.  I want two.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:45:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Little ugly but I am impressed, certainly unique.  Do you use the grip on the magwell, is it akward?

The only reason the original MAC10 grip is on the magwell is to keep the mag catch spring and pin held in place.  I am working on an aluminum cover that will fit that area to make it look better.  I was considering a different mag catch that fits closer to the magazine body, too.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:32:01 AM EDT
[#14]
I saw these guns somewhere, some are pretty cool.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Anyone build anything like a Krebs rifle? That would be interesting to me i think.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:38:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Pistol I built from a AMD 65 kit.

Something I put togerther after loosing the instructions.
Rail mounted in place of the rear sight and a kerbs style sight mounted to the dust cover. Amd 65 barrel with a fake can.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:24:25 AM EDT
[#17]
that AMD pistol looks good
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I was thinking of installing a AK-142B Bulgarian Front Sight Block from K-var and cutting the threads off of it

I would want to put a flash hider on the front
my choices are:
an A2
phantom
RPK style.................aa-ok
CONE style..............aa-ok
DRAGUNOV style.....aa-ok
maybe even a xm177 5 1/2'' Flashider on a cut barrel to help hide the old front sights pin lands.

what do you guys think?

I already have a tapco collaspesable for it and black furniture.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Will the  AK-142B Bulgarian Front Sight Block  that Kvar sells work where my gas block is now?? The gas block thats on now is a 90 degree one and I remember reading somewhere that a 90d gas block has to have a 90d block to replace it. If I ask Kvar will they know? Im dying to cut this gas block off but dont want to if I know my project wont work.

anyone?
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top