Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2005 8:53:05 PM EDT
Something occurred to me today and I thought I'd stir the pot so to speak.

Seems like a lot of venders are furiously unloading all the kits they can without a large price increase.  In fact, you could argue that not only has the price of a Romy kit remained the same, maybe it's gotten a little cheaper given the 'B', 'C', and 80% kits being sold.  Tantals & PMKMS's are about the same price now as they were July 4th weekend when the reality of the barrel ban enforcement was realized by all.  I would have expected the price of kits to rise sharply given the anticipated shortages.......Think:  is it any harder to get a Romy kit now than it was in June?  Is the price more?  I know you can't really get AMD's now but Tantals and PMKMS's took their place.

I can only speculate, but I thought I would put this idea (dream) out there.....

I think there is possibly a shitload of kits in the pipeline that will get to the public before the new January deadline.  Vendors are freeing up cash by selling kits at relatively cheap prices now, in order to pay for the new kits.

Just an idea to think about.
I also dream about winning the $200M lottery.
Maybe I'm just a dreamer that's FOS.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Nah, I don't think you're dreaming.

The panic hasn't set in yet. The Vendors are watching the market, and sales of such kits has not shifted into fever pitch as many have anticipated. To raise the price now would be financial suicide: not when the competition still has a large supply of merchandise and are selling the product at a still low price.

You would no doubt have seen a sharp rise in kit prices had the market gone into overdrive but that hasn't happened yet. There must be a LOT of kits still available out there, and the Vendors that thought there would be a rush and stocked up are all of a sudden stuck with a supply of merchandise that isn't moving as fast as they had anticipated. No sense in liqudating this inventory just yet: the market WILL boom eventually, so until then the wise move would to be to keep the prices as they are.

Like any finite supply of merchandise, there will come a time when the demand for a dwindling supply will allow for inflated prices, but that time hasn't come around yet. In the meanwhile, Vendors with a lot of these kits have their money tied up in inventory that they got cheap and are just waiting for the market to boom. It will....just doesn't seem like it did when everyone thought it would.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:05:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I've noticed this too. Makes me wonder if the market is getting somewhat saturated after the kit buying frenzy that begun in early July.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#3]
The same thing happened with Romanian folders and AMD 65s.  One day there was a glut, the next day they were gone.  The vendors are no different than anyone else.  They want their money now, even though they could make more money in the long run if they upped the price and rationed the kits. The faster they can sell kits, the faster they make money.  Dont be fooled.  Just when the market is flooded with what seems to be an endless supply of cheap kits, POOF, there will be no more kits.  As Bob at AA once said; "These are the good old days."
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:49:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top