Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/7/2005 6:48:51 PM EDT
I got a polish kit and the barrel pin is stuck, I've tried the BFH, shop press and have even heated it, had it soaking in kroil for a week, and this thing won't budge, any Ideas on how to remove it, short of drilling it out, that my next option if nobodies got any better ideas.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#1]
When you try the shop press, are you bending punches? I had the typical Romy trouble, and I finally started with a 1/4" long peice of hardened bolt for a punch.. That got them moving..
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#2]
you can try the vise BFH
or an airhammer
but when it comes right down to it the barrel pin isnt worth alot of trouble
if its a pain just drill it
you can replace it for under 5 bucks shipped its just not worth it

DRILL THAT SOB
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:14:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
DRILL THAT SOB

+1   I've taken apart 7 kits so far, i've only built two, all of mine came out with an air hammer except one, a rommy i beat the shit out it with an air hammer and it didnt budge, tried kroil, heat five pound hammers, i ended up drilling it, broke a few bits (damnit) but it came right out. In the future if a kroil soaked pin doesnt come right out i'm drilling. Drill the bastard, go slow use lots of cutting fluid and the number one thing is, use a center punch to mark the pin before you drill. McM
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:09:49 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks, I guess its drill time, cause I've already did everything else and I'm tired of breaking and bending punches.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:36:02 PM EDT
[#5]
After bending everything that I used to push with, I finally dremeled a .25" hardened screwdriver shank into a punch.  Got it out with a 1/2 ton arbor press and BFH.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#6]
ETA: OOps, Double Tap
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:58:42 PM EDT
[#7]
The couple Romanians kits I disassembled came out with a good (Snap-On) punch and a 2# hammer. I soaked them both for a couple days with Kroil and drove the pins out with the punch. Don't be bashful. Whack the hell out of it. Once it starts to move, it comes out fairly easy.
I think part of the problem might be a burr in the pin hole. It looks to me as though the headspace is set, the pin hole is drilled and then the pin is inserted. Both my pins and barrels were galled a little where there were burrs in the pin and trunnion holes.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I got one of those Romys that is also a big b*tch to get loose. I am going to drill that b*tard out!
I'm still cussing the damn thing!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:02:21 AM EDT
[#9]
well like I said, I've pounded the hell outta this thing and it ain't moving, soaked it for a week in kroil and its still stuck, I've got it soaking right now untill I can get back to it next week on my day off, if it still wont come out then, I'm gonna drill it out.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top