Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2005 2:31:27 PM EDT
When I unpacked to look at this kit I noticed that whoever drilled out the rivets missed. Is this going to cause problems?

See picture with green circles...

http://webpages.charter.net/17man/Polish%20AKMS.jpg
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:42:59 PM EDT
[#1]
No problem.  Might want to use swell-neck rivets and countersink to take up a little slack but even if you don't it will be OK.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:04:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got mine from Dan's and it looks the same way.  No biggie, I don't think it's anything to be concerned about.  Build away!

Sudboy

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:59:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I find that the Pols are not used to drilling. My rear trunnion has three rivet holes that closer resemble binoculars that holes. Ignorant ass bastids.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:13:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Not a problem.  I would expect the rivets to fill up (swell into) the oversized portion of the holes when they are crushed.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:27:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Nope.  Not at all.

SM
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:40:38 PM EDT
[#6]
i just gotta throw this in there
its not a prob if you are doing a rivet build
but it looks like you have started drilling out the rivets for a screw build in wich case its a big prob
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:55:40 PM EDT
[#7]
WOW. THE FINISH LOOKS A LOT DIFFERENT THAN MINE.  

Mine looks like it's finished metal that has been colored black.  yours looks like it has a coating already.  Did you refinish yours?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:11:13 AM EDT
[#8]
That is the finish that was on it. It is a grade 1 or grade A, it looks really good except for those holes that the polish or whoever drilled...
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:25:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine's just not a charcoal/flat black finish.  I got one step down from Collector's Grade, either A or 1, don't remember...

Mine doesn't compare in Finish but at least the rivets were BARELY drilled:

I think your left hole is great- they left a little rivet and the right looks like they realized just as they got into the metal of the front trunion then moved the bit to get he rivet...
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:35:17 AM EDT
[#10]
that's normal for kits, even worse on the bulgy 74s
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top