Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/4/2005 9:52:32 PM EDT
I am new to this site and this is my first post!  I have just completed my first AK build, however I am having difficuilty installing the hammer and trigger pin retainer in the FCG.  The retainer that I have is not shaped like a shepards hook ,like I have seen on most photos.It has a coil on one end where the hook normally is.  Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:08:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you have the original full auto spring that comes with most kits.  It uses the third autosear pin.  You can reshape it, buy a semiauto one or make one from spring stock.  And it won’t be long before someone comes along with a post saying that E clips are the best way to go.  I personally don’t like the E clips, but they seem very popular.  I prefer the Chinese L shaped retainers.  They are the easiest to install.  If you are desperate or impatient, you can make the L shaped one out of a large paper clip.  Believe it or not, it will work.  The short leg should be about 1 inch long and the long leg should be about 3 inches long. The last time I looked, they were available from akparts.com.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:33:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info. the retainer that I have did come with the kit.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:12:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Just clip off the spring with a pair of side cutters leaving the loop on the end and it will work fine.

Here is a diagram for installing it. I use method two with the clipped retainer.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:59:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Ever so slightly OT:

When the person responds to say how e-clips are better, coudl they also mention what size to use?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:07:07 AM EDT
[#5]
6/32 "E" clips.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top