Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2005 8:54:31 AM EDT
one can homebuild only 1 semi auto gun per year?
i read it on the 1919A4.com faq
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:59:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:26:50 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Totally, not true. Build away, and have fun. Just don't start selling the ones you build.

I was thinking about building one for each of my kids and one for my dad. Is there a limit?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:35:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Yesterday I talked to a FFL who ashured me that it is illegal to build guns from kits, unless you are a class2 FFL and pay excise tax on it. He told me that's why ATF is banning import of kits, he also said that they need to ban receivers so guys can't keep building guns.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:38:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:53:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yesterday I talked to a FFL who ashured me that it is illegal to build guns from kits, unless you are a class2 FFL and pay excise tax on it. He told me that's why ATF is banning import of kits, he also said that they need to ban receivers so guys can't keep building guns.

i hope that doesnt start a shit storm here.....
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
one can homebuild only 1 semi auto gun per year?
i read it on the 1919A4.com faq

Maybe it depends on the state?  I did 3 this year and I will probably do 2 next year.  And I don't care anyways!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:43:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Lots of FFLs are FOS! This guy is speaking his opinions and not facts. Building from kits cuts into his sales and profits.
Be careful doing business with this yahoo!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:17:55 PM EDT
[#8]
there are ways to get guns without paying excise tax on them. that doesn't even logically make sense to outlaw something because of that. private gun sales and kit building come to mind right away. they aren't banning all kits, nor are they banning all ak variant kits. its in reguard to the sporting part.  i would say your FFL is FOS as previously mentioned.

add to that the impossibility of knowning the build date on any rifle aside from what you want them to know.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:34:15 AM EDT
[#9]
It's legal to build guns FOR YOUR OWN USE. You cannot build a gun which you intend to TRANSFER (not sell) at the time you build it. Should you become tired of the gun at some time after you build it, you may transfer (sell, give away) it but I believe (but I'm not sure) that you must mark the receiver with the name of the person who built the gun and the city where it was built.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:19:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I buy a AR15 complete lower - no excise tax.

I buy a ar15 complete upper - no excise tax.

I put the two together - complete weapon - no excise tax.

Is building an AR this way illegal - no.  Just don't do it for sale.

Same applies for AKs - just substitute kit and receiver for above assemblies.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:59:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:52:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i hope that doesnt start a shit storm here.....

I was just pointing out how much BS there is out there about this subject.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:36:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Actually the ATF did set a number of firearms (dollar value) that could be built with out worrying about the federal excise tax. The issue was raised due to gunsmiths building custom rifles and the tax not being paid. IIRC it was $5000 pr year. Bet someone here on the site knows the specifics...
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:24:23 AM EDT
[#14]
The site says that the FAQ was written by "Todd of Rapid Fire".

FAQ
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:56:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

FAQ

He also says you must put your name/address on there.

It allways bugs me when I hear shit like this, because I figure ultimatly I'll run into a LEO who thinks that way as well. Like the FFL I mentioned above, some LEO will call his FFL "buddy" and ask him what the law is on home made AKs, then I'll end up in jail for a few hours, or even days waiting to explain to a judge, who might not even believe it's legal. If it ever happens I'll just sue the shit out of everyone who had anything to do with my wrongful inprisonment.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:36:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FAQ

He also says you must put your name/address on there.

It allways bugs me when I hear shit like this, because I figure ultimatly I'll run into a LEO who thinks that way as well. Like the FFL I mentioned above, some LEO will call his FFL "buddy" and ask him what the law is on home made AKs, then I'll end up in jail for a few hours, or even days waiting to explain to a judge, who might not even believe it's legal. If it ever happens I'll just sue the shit out of everyone who had anything to do with my wrongful inprisonment.

I recall reading that you must put the name of the maker and the city where the maker is located if you TRANSFER the firearm. As long as you own it you don't need to mark it. perhaps someone can give us a link to the ATF website or a link to a letter from the ATF on this subject.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:42:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Here are some excerpts from a publication that is sent to all FFLs.

From http://www.atf.treas.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/qa.pdf (Questions and Answers)

I. GUNSMITHS
(I1) Is a license needed to engage in the business of engraving, customizing,refinishing or repairing firearms?
Yes. A person conducting such activities as a business is considered to
be a gunsmith within the definition of a dealer.
[27 CFR 178.11]

From http://www.atf.treas.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/part178.pdf  (Commerce in Firearms and Ammunition)

27 CFR 178.11 Meaning of Terms
Dealer. Any person engaged in the business of selling firearms at
wholesale or retail; any person engaged in the business of repairing
firearms or of making or fitting special barrels, stocks, or trigger
mechanisms to firearms; or any person who is a pawnbroker. The term shall include any person who engages in such business or occupation on a part-time basis.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:18:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I think the rule about stamping a name and address only applies if you built the receiver. It wouldn't apply to a kit built on an existing receiver made by a licensed manufacturer.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:13:15 AM EDT
[#19]
That's right. the receiver is the firearm to ATF. Sometimes I forget that  people use 100% receivers.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:01:45 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Here are some excerpts from a publication that is sent to all FFLs.

From http://www.atf.treas.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/qa.pdf (Questions and Answers)

I. GUNSMITHS
(I1) Is a license needed to engage in the business of engraving, customizing,refinishing or repairing firearms?
Yes. A person conducting such activities as a business is considered to
be a gunsmith within the definition of a dealer.
[27 CFR 178.11]

From http://www.atf.treas.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/part178.pdf  (Commerce in Firearms and Ammunition)

27 CFR 178.11 Meaning of Terms
Dealer. Any person engaged in the business of selling firearms at
wholesale or retail; any person engaged in the business of repairing
firearms or of making or fitting special barrels, stocks, or trigger
mechanisms to firearms; or any person who is a pawnbroker. The term shall include any person who engages in such business or occupation on a part-time basis.

"Engaged in the business of........." You can do what ever you want for personal use, as long as you don't go class 3, then you just pay the $200 tax first. ATF SUGGESTs that you make a destictive identifying mark on your weapons for identification if stolin.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top