Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/2/2005 4:57:52 AM EDT
I have an AMD-65 kit that was my first build and one of my front trunion holes caused me problems after I had a tap break.  Getting the broken tap out was a real PITA and enlarged the hole so I had to drill the hole larger and use a 2mm screw to finish the build.  This is my AMD-65 pistol and for as little as I shoot it it's not a big deal but now that I have the proper tools I have been thinking about taking the pistol apart and replacing the screws with rivets....

Does anybody have any advise on how to repair the front trunion so I can do this...

I am not a welder but I am sure I can find a weld shop near me...  The trunion seems like pretty thick steel so I assume most any welding technique could do this, right?  Perhaps I am just being too picky but I never put a finish on this build and I need to decide to fix this before I refinish as I need some practice finishing a gun before I try to refinish one of my newer builds...

I plan to disassemble the front of that buld this weekend and get a good look at what I did with the barrel out of the trunion...  if I hadn't spent all my money on other kits I would go buy an inexpensive Mig welder and learn to weld this weekend too
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:11:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Quarter bore,
I just so happen to be an ASME certified welder. Not to pee in your corn flakes but, I would not weld on that trunnion at all! the trunnion is heat treated ( you broke your tap pretty easy didn't ya).
if you weld on that trunnion you will change the properties of the material (soften it) unless you are going to have the trunnion reheattreated leave it alone. you don't have any idea of wich material it was made from because you didn't get the certs from FEG.This makes it much tougher for the heat treater to do it properly.
                       R1150R
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:24:33 AM EDT
[#2]
This is why I asked before I jumped in...  

Still I am looking at 1 of six holes...  I can heat sink this thing pretty good before it is repaired...  and this is just the trunion (abberl will be pulled)...  Is the heat treating of that one hole that important?

I assume you feel that weld builds are not safe either based on your advise...?

This is a cosmetic issue... it was my first build...  I could ignore it but given I now have the tools and a little more skill it makes me really tempted to try to fix this but if it really is a bad idea... nothing lost nothing gained!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:05:39 AM EDT
[#3]
If I wanted to re-drill the hole I would drill the threads out, insert a tolerance fit pin into the hole and then drill it to the correct diameter.  After all, your only talking about one hole right?  And after riveting, the pin/spacer isn't going anywhere.

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:07:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I would get a low grade 2mm screw, install it with some low temp silver solder, grind it flush, then drill it out the right size.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:40:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I fixed a friends like this by using regular rivit but putting a very small ball bearing in hole, after putting barrel back in trunion then buck as normal. rivit they swell out and fill oversize hole and it can't tell difference. that trunion looks thick from outside but its not. there is a cut on inside almost like a small woodruff key hole so rivit has somewhere to expand. On a screw build you'll only have about 3 treads engaged and even locktight can't hold that long. please learn to rivit and why to rivit so you don't  hurt yourselves, RIVIT-RIVIT-RIVIT  
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top