Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2005 9:51:32 AM EDT
Im thinking about ordering a tapco compliance kit. I like the kit because I can get everything legal for under $200, but i've heard some shaky things about their aftermarket parts. Is the compliance kit ok? The other drawback for it for me is that I really like the authentic look of the romy ak, especially the lower handguard. Is there a better/cheaper way to get the 6 US compliant parts? If I get the tapco romy kit with the g2 FCG, doesn't it count as 3 us parts? Are there three other good/cheap parts I could get for under $75(trying to keep the $200 limit) and keep the authentic look? Also i've shot my buddy's WASR-10 and it heats up real quick, how well does the romy kits lower handguard with the handle absorb the heat?

Also what about their receiver flats, I have a family friend who's a metalsmith and can bend/build do whatever with it. I was going to order their predrilled flat and get him to fold and heat treat it for me and then drop it into the kit. Are they ok?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:51:56 AM EDT
[#1]
well if he bends the flat he is the maker and then you cant have it. but you can supervise him doing it, or have him set it up and you pull the lever

and with the vertical grip on a romy i dont think you could ever heat it up enough to feel it, unless you put yur hands up on the upper cover
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:57:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I would go with their $125 special that includes the G2 trigger.  Then you're down to replacing 2 more parts (3 from the FCG and 1 for the receiver).  You can get a US grip and US piston for $30 or so.  Maybe $160 and you're all compliant.  You could also do magazine followers and/or floorplates to save yourself even more money (esp. on future builds).  I haven't noticed my lower handguard heat up, they do exactly what you would think they would do with the heat.

Most everyone builds flats from Tapco flats.  nodakspud.com is another source that I know of, but the Tapcos work just fine.  They're a steal at $10 for their surface rust specials...
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:29:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies.

Another question though, does anyone have step by step instructions for folding the flat I can give to my buddy. I know he won't have any troubles, but I do not believe he has done somethign like this before and I want to have everythign ready for when the build starts.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:58:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That being said if your gonna be buying flats DO NOT get the rusted one. First I dont think Tapco has anymore and if they do dont buy them. I know lots of people including myself have bought them and havent been disapointed.

Interesting.  I got a couple of them and they barely had any rust at all and it was all surface rust.  Came off with about 5 seconds of steel wool.  I take that advice back then, spend the extra $3 and get one without rust.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:37:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Your best bet for folding a flat is gonna be with a jig. Im sure its possible to bend one without one but it wouldnt be easy. That being said if your gonna be buying flats DO NOT get the rusted one. First I dont think Tapco has anymore and if they do dont buy them. I know lots of people including myself have bought them and havent been disapointed. However Tapco is making a new flat made from better steel and with improved dimples and what not. I bought a bunch of these but Im not sure if they are shipping them to everyone else yet or not. I have these listed on my site for $12.99 which is a great flat for the price.www.MidwestArmory.com

Yeah i'm getting a few things from you
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:39:36 PM EDT
[#7]
If you don't want to buy a jig I am renting mine out...  you will need a press to use it however....

www.quarterbore.net/forums/showthread.php?t=510
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:29:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quarterbore:

I don't have the money to rent your jig out, it would just be out of the question this is a budget build in the first place.

Midwest Armory:

The laser cut fold by hand flats that you sell. What all needs to be done to get them folded(can they literally be folded by hand). ALso you say it requires no heat treating and that it is thicker than most flats. Will the thickness be an issue with any parts?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:31:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:12:35 PM EDT
[#11]
What has to be welded?

Also are there any write ups about doing a laser flat. I think this might have to be the route I take
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:07:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:08:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, those directions are based on a couple write-ups I did a while back on this forum.  I have built 5 Aks on those laser flats, including pistols.  They work great and were fun projects.  I have also done a couple on Cold Steel blanks.  Now I am going to try to do some on the Tapco-type flats.  I am ordering a 5-pack from the Duke, right now.  I just have to buy a press now  (off to Harbor Freight I go).  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:23:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Quarterbore:

I don't have the money to rent your jig out, it would just be out of the question this is a budget build in the first place.

Wow.... If $20 plus shipping to the next guy is too expensive... I suggest that you forget about doing any flat builds...

Just find a decent deal on an 100% receiver and have it ordered...  at the budget you are describing you will be doing a screw build...  you will need a drill press and if you don't have one this is going to be a tough project (but can be done)....

Here is some info on doing a screw build...

www.quarterbore.net/forums/showthread.php?t=163

But... if your budget is as tight as you say...  you should just buy a used AK off the EE and just put the parts away until you have more money....  IMHO

As for the rusty flats... I also have a few of these and they bent up fine...  I used them for practice bending and such and I want to build a cut-a-way with one with an AMD-65 barrel that I bought where a hacker builder mannaged to drill into the chamber really deep.

Still, most of the flats had no real issues that wouldn't clean up...
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:10:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Qbore, I forgot, does your rental jig have the alignment pins added, or does it require hand-alignment?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:22:15 AM EDT
[#16]
The one I am renting is a 555th jig and does not have the alignment pins...  I have considered adding the pins however...
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:16:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Wow.... If $20 plus shipping to the next guy is too expensive... I suggest that you forget about doing any flat builds...
quote]

I read it as a $200 deposit, which is why I said I wouldnt be able to do that. hah that's a definate difference. I will still have to look into that then when it gets closer to building it.

I'm in no rush to have the AK built. I really had just planned on buying the parts kit right now and doing most of it later, mainly because prices are going to be sky rocketing. But wanted to get everything in order before I started and to see if it was going to be too much or not.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top