Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/23/2005 6:48:29 AM EDT

I have lost track of the progress and price on bending jigs.  Anyone want to let me in on the info?  

What have you used?
Pro and con, etc.

I don't mind bending the upper rails with a hammer, but I know that some jigs have a way to press them instead. Are they worth the extra money?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:11:03 AM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:51:56 AM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:31:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a couple of the 555th jigs and these are pretty much the standard that people copied to make all others (exaduration I know).  With the original 555th jig you need to take a little time and center your flats in the jig using a micrometer.  It takes a little time but it isn't too hard.

The DPH jig is the first real imprvement but it is still esentially a 555th jig but they added locator pins that allow you to pretty much drop your flat over a couple pins and bolt ut up tight thus eliminating the measuring.  Now, some people have added the alignment pins to their 555th jigs to do the same thing.

The AK-Builder jig is essentially the same as the DPH jig but it is shaped a little diferent so that the jig that you use to bend your flat will actually fit inside a second jig that will bend over the top rail.

Now, I can't really advise what prices are anymore or what the availablility but here are some links:

dpharms.com/now-in-stock-receiver-flat-bending-jig-p-115.html
ak-builder.com/ak/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=2

I am reluctantly offering my jig (555th) for rent again if you may be interested...

www.quarterbore.net/forums/showthread.php?t=510

Even with having to measure the flat to center it you can bend a flat in under an hour and the second and third flats can be done much faster...  I am asking $20 + shipping to the next person but see the terms at the link as my last rotaion turned into a real hastle!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:07:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I have AK-Builder's jig with the upper rail bending attachment.  Many NoVA members have receivers that were bent on that jig.  I am very pleased with his quality and attention to detail.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:41:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have AK-Builder's jig with the upper rail bending attachment.  Many NoVA members have receivers that were bent on that jig.  I am very pleased with his quality and attention to detail.

+1 I've used Longboat's and liked it so much I bought my own!
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top