Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2005 3:36:26 AM EDT
OK, how do you do it?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:44:48 AM EDT
[#1]
ok look at it from the top you see the little tab that sticks out of the front sight keeping the muzzle brake from spinning push it in and unscrew the brake
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:47:15 AM EDT
[#2]
if you have a complete gun you bought the brake/extension is probably welded on but if its just a parts kit then it will come off in about 3 sec.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:32:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
ok look at it from the top you see the little tab that sticks out of the front sight keeping the muzzle brake from spinning push it in and unscrew the brake

Don't forget--reverse threads.  Righty loosy and lefty tighty.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:05:37 AM EDT
[#4]
they're really tight on there if yours is anything like mine. i can push that pin down but i'm sure as heck not able to just take the break off with my hand. haven't spent more much time than that on it yet, haven't had a reason too since i havent really started the build.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:46:30 AM EDT
[#5]
It's a parts gun and I will push in the little tab and turn clockwise.  Would it help if I had three hands?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:17:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Stick a screwdriver through the holes in the brake with one hand and press in the detent with the other.  Then turn to the right.  I've had 2 stuck ones.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:09:36 AM EDT
[#7]
It must not be uncommon for the brake to get gummed-up and hard to turn, because the cleaning kits for these little guys includes a special wrench that fits the flats on the brake.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:32:18 AM EDT
[#8]
i haven't had a problem with one of these being to tight
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:39:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Those flats on the brake are there for a reason.  Get yer trusty crescent wrench and adjust accordingly to fit and unscrew.  The kit issued with the AMD-65 had a wrench in it for this very purpose.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#10]
There is usually enough space to turn the break a degree or so to break it lose from the threads without having to push down that spring loaded pin. Lay it down flat on the side of a table or counter, with just the break sticking over the edge, with the fsb flat on the table. Just stick a screw driver or piece of steel rod through the round hole in the break, turn right to loose while keeping the fsb flat on the surface. You should feel it give a little and then get stopped by the pin. Push down the pin (you may need to back off a hair on the break to take pressure off the pin) and then unscrew. Once you get it passed the retainer pin the first time you can usually unscrew it the rest of the way by hand.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top