Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2005 7:44:43 PM EDT
I just broke my bit off in the rear trunion hole trying to drill out the old rivets....question...Does the trunion hole go ALL the way through?  If so Ill come at it from the other side.....its a Hungarian AMD 65......also do I have to remove the barrel to get out the last two rivets that hide underneath?  I would appreicate any help

Mike
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:25:28 PM EDT
[#1]
yes the rear trunion holes go all the way through
just drill halfway through the otherside with an 1/8 bit and take an small socket on the other side and punch the rivet and broke off bit out.
to get the rivets in the front trunion you need to press the barrel pin out and then press the barrel out of the trunion
and then just punch them out

BLM
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:50:01 AM EDT
[#2]
ask ? if you need to cause you don't want to trash a 65 when we have no more from dealers
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys....I emailed one of the recommended builders to get an idea about how much it would cost to have someone do it..........still waiting.  Im not sure I want to mess around with the front trunion knowing I need to press the barrel out as I dont have the tools to do it....Maybe Ill wait..thanks!!  (though I would like to build it myself)
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:13:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Removing the barrel is pretty easy with one of these... I think it's called a pulley puller and you can buy them for around $20 at most auto parts stores like Schucks, Knechts, etc

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:45:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I acquired two pulley pullers....one with three arms and one with two arms...used 3 nickels between the barrel and the device....bent the hell out of the nickels and the trunion didnt budge......getting the pin out was easy enough....the trunnion however is being very very difficult.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:40:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I acquired two pulley pullers....one with three arms and one with two arms...used 3 nickels between the barrel and the device....bent the hell out of the nickels and the trunion didnt budge......getting the pin out was easy enough....the trunnion however is being very very difficult.

You might try using a penetration oil like Kroil, or heating the trunion.  What kind of kit is it?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:09:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Removing the barrel is pretty easy with one of these... I think it's called a pulley puller and you can buy them for around $20 at most auto parts stores like Schucks, Knechts, etc

tinypic.com/b3o689.jpg

+1 that's what I use and it works great!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:23:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

tinypic.com/b3o689.jpg

+1 that's what I use and it works great!

What are the odds of using a custom one with very long arms to re-install the barrel?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:41:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You might try using a penetration oil like Kroil, or heating the trunion.  What kind of kit is it?

Hungarian AMD 65.....Ill try some oil.....so close yet soooo far away....frikken driving me crazy!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:45:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I could never get my pully puller to work.

I just ended up beating the barrel out with a BFH and a few pennies and nickles.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:19:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Im afraid of damaging the barrel and trunion....the damb pully puller slipped and peeled some of the steel off the edge......I think ill buy the compliance parts and receiver and just put it all away until I can find someone to put it together and I can afford to pay for it.......dambdambdamb
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:34:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Some pulley pullers need slight alterations with a dremel.  Once I had my puller situated on the trunnion properly, I clamped it down in a vise to hold it there.  Worked like a charm on the 3 barrels I removed.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:55:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Just-ice,

Where in Washington do you live?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:27:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Port Angeles.....
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:00:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Put the puller in a vice & it will stay put on the trunion.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top