Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/19/2005 7:54:14 AM EDT
I have a Saiga 16" .308 w/ standard hollow stock and would like to shorten (the stock) about 2-3 inch's.  I'm not that large a person and would like a shorter pull.  (Yes I know to keep it above 26" OAL per NFA).  

Is this something that I could do myself (I'm relatively skilled) or should it be taken out to a Smith for the work?  Any help suggestions/ideas would be great.
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:22:57 AM EDT
[#1]
There is one guy I saw making some custom Saiga stocks. Look for him on th Saiga board. http://saiga-12.com/

Your best results would be seen by converting the Saiga over to a pistol grip configuration then installaing a standard Warsaw length Bulgarian 74 buttstock. They are designed to be a short length of pull.

Quoted:
I have a Saiga 16" .308 w/ standard hollow stock and would like to shorten (the stock) about 2-3 inch's.  I'm not that large a person and would like a shorter pull.  (Yes I know to keep it above 26" OAL per NFA).  

Is this something that I could do myself (I'm relatively skilled) or should it be taken out to a Smith for the work?  Any help suggestions/ideas would be great.
Thanks

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Standard hollow stock Im guessing you mean its the orignial stock that came with the Saigia hunting rifle?  You havent done any conversions?  I'm looking at my .223 version and by taking off  the rear 2.5 inches it puts you right at the sling swivel.  I guess you could use a chop saw or sawzall to cut it square  then use a dremel to smooth out the rough cuts in the plastic.  I think your main issue is going to be finding a butt pad that will fit correctly. Maybe you could get a youth model butt stock pad and modify it to fit looks to me that a ruger 10/22 butt stock or a youth 20 ga shotgun will get you close if ya wanted to do a total home made job.  If not then get a butt stock off of Kvar for a stamped receiver.  Im sure theres several that will fit and may suit your needs. I think the european versions are approx 2" shorter then the USA versions. Me?  I'd personally convert it to pistol grip but thats me.  

Oh and if you do cut your stock and screw it up and if the .223 version wil fit your rifle then send me a PM or email.  Ill sell ya my old stock CHEAP.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:26:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
There is one guy I saw making some custom Saiga stocks. Look for him on th Saiga board. http://saiga-12.com/

Your best results would be seen by converting the Saiga over to a pistol grip configuration then installaing a standard Warsaw length Bulgarian 74 buttstock. They are designed to be a short length of pull.

He doesnt have to do the conversion to pistol grip to use a standard Warsaw length Bulgarian Butt Stock.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:34:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I never said he did.

However, the original Saiga stock has a Monte Carlo type curve in it to allow for your hand grip. The Bulgy straight stock does not and was specifically designed for use with a pistol grip. I hardly think it would be practical to try and make it work without a pistol grip.

Quoted:

Quoted:

He doesnt have to do the conversion to pistol grip to use a standard Warsaw length Bulgarian Butt Stock.  

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:03:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I saw this furniture here on the other board curious if anyone knows where to get it.......

Now I'm thinking pistol grip/ short fixed stock and handguards in short version

Anyone know where to find this?  I would consider doing this conversion with a Fixed Buttstock.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:23:27 AM EDT
[#6]
The PG and AK stock are no problem, the handguards are a bit of a PITA.  I did the stock and PG on mine, took about 4 hours being very careful and refinishing. There's quite a bit of info-it's really easy. You need a drill, dremel, and measuring tape. Check in the Russian weapons section here and at Saiga12.com. You'll like it a whole lot better! Plus it looks cool, too.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top