Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/18/2005 7:02:08 PM EDT
My first AK creation, made using a Romanian kit from DPHarms.  I made my own rivet squeezers from a pair of harbor freight bolt cutters.  The stock is Rit dye scarlet with about 15 coats of Minwax polyurethane on top.  I hammered 300 rounds thru it at the range and it shot like a champ.   Comments are welcome.

Sudboy

AIM-63 picture
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:12:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Nice!  I've got that same kit coming from DPH, someday.

How did you make your own rivet squeezers from the bolt cutters?

I used a pair of 18" harbor freight cutters, the Romanian trunnion (as a guide), and a carbide dremel bit.  The dremel bit was the only thing that would make the outside rivet divot in the hardened bolt cutter jaws.  

Sudboy
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:23:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey sudboy, that is one nice looking AK.  Whos receiver did you use????Mad-Dog
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:02:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:22:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Could you send me a pic of what the jaws look like after you doctored them up? I'd like to try that before I drop some money on some custom tools.

pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK/rivet/boltcutters/cuttershaping.htm

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:52:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks good. Very good. Hope mine turns out half as nice.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:01:12 PM EDT
[#7]
That looks Great!

Curious, what is the G for just below the rear sight?

kythri has a bunch of these kits and I believe they have the same thing on them.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:55:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
That looks Great!

Curious, what is the G for just below the rear sight?

kythri has a bunch of these kits and I believe they have the same thing on them.

Opinions vary on what the G means.  Search the boards and you'll find many explanations.  I like to think the G means "good shooter" which is how mine turned out to be.

Best,
Sudboy
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:53:29 AM EDT
[#9]
how did you use the rit dye? do you soak it in the dye? brush it on? I think you did a fine job.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:24:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Could you send me a pic of what the jaws look like after you doctored them up?  I'd like to try that before I drop some money on some custom tools.

Okay I took some pictures of the squeezers here

Sudboy
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:27:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
how did you use the rit dye? do you soak it in the dye? brush it on? I think you did a fine job.

It's water-based Rit scarlet.  one coat after work with a rag for three nights in a row.  I let it dry for a week, and then started with the high gloss polyurethane spray.

Sudboy
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:56:03 AM EDT
[#12]
That's your FIRST?

Nice job, it looks great!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:15:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I read somewhere, even though I can't remember where, that the "G" denoted that the rifle was a training rifle used in the training recruits. It stands for some word in Romanian. I'll have to figure out where I saw that and post the link.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:44:00 AM EDT
[#14]
In a thread on this forum someone surmised that the kits were training rifles. He reached that conclusion because his kit didn't have the full auto parts and came with a semi-auto disconnector.
He's wrong. The kits from dph arms came with all the full auto parts EXCEPT the disconnector and those kits were marked with the orange G. Also the kits the poster thought were semi-auto came with the auto sear spring. Some of the vendors left out the auto parts and none of the vendors wanted to risk trouble with the BATF so at least one auto part was left out.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:51:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Sudboy,

Congratulations on a VERY nice looking first build - you've also inspired me to try the reddish furniture look on what will soon be MY first build.  I just wish AKs were as easy as ARs to build,  but the effort is part of the fun in a building any firearm.    And an added congrats on a fine photo.

Kermith.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:20:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Ohh Man that looks SWEET! Very nice finish on the wood and and metal looks great. What did you use to finish the metal?

Is there a chart with the designations of all the romanian rifles-IE Sidefolder 5.45=AIMS-74, Underfolder 7.62 rifle w/ forward hand grip AIMS, etc? I had always thought that the kits that we're seeing (Romanian) were just called "AIM" (Mil Designation).

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:55:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Ohh Man that looks SWEET! Very nice finish on the wood and and metal looks great. What did you use to finish the metal?

I used naval jelly (dumb idea) to strip the remaining park when I got the kit.  Then, two coats of semigloss black molyresin.  One before assembly, and one afterwards.  Next time I'll omit the naval jelly part.

Is there a chart with the designations of all the romanian rifles-IE Sidefolder 5.45=AIMS-74, Underfolder 7.62 rifle w/ forward hand grip AIMS, etc? I had always thought that the kits that we're seeing (Romanian) were just called "AIM" (Mil Designation).

Here's where I learned to refer to this AK as an AIM-63.

Regards,
Sudboy

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:58:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Very nice job!

I just ordered a Romy kit from DPH yesterday and after seeing yours I can't wait to get started!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I used naval jelly (dumb idea) to strip the remaining park when I got the kit.  Then, two coats of semigloss black molyresin.  One before assembly, and one afterwards.  Next time I'll omit the naval jelly part.

Regards,
Sudboy

Thanks! Did the black stripe on the rear of the buttstock get refinished/redone or was it perfect when you got the kit?

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:49:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Regards,
Sudboy

Thanks! Did the black stripe on the rear of the buttstock get refinished/redone or was it perfect when you got the kit?

Nope the black stripe is compliments of Krylon.

Sudboy
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:36:16 PM EDT
[#21]
My of my, that is a real beauty.  I'll bet it even shoots better with that finish, just like an old car always seems to run better when it's waxed.  Nice job.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:51:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
My of my, that is a real beauty.  I'll bet it even shoots better with that finish, just like an old car always seems to run better when it's waxed.  Nice job.

Thanks for the compliment!  Yes I had fun putting it together and making it look nice, but the real reward was when I got it to the range and the bullets actually went where I pointed it.

My next posting will detail how I built another DPH arms romy kit into a wannabe AK74 with plum furniture.  Pics to follow shortly.

Sudboy
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top