Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/12/2005 10:21:04 AM EDT
I found this over on FALFILES and it seems pretty darned easy to make and do...

www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=146939
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:35:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I saw that somewhere else but I didn't get it.  That cleared it up.  Now I got to go steal my wife's tweazer and try it out.  She's always losing things so I can play dumb.  Ha Ha
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#2]
They are also available from aircraft tool suppliers in several different sizes.

yardstore.com/index.cfm?Action=ViewCategory&Category=135

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:25:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks... here is more info on these tools...

www.tpub.com/content/aviation/14018/css/14018_523.htm

Hole Finder A hole finder is a tool used to transfer existing holes in aircraft structures or skin to replacement skin or patches. See figure 13-5. The tool has two leaves parallel to each other and fastened together at one end. The bottom leaf of the hole finder has a teat installed near the end of the leaf that is aligned with a bushing on the top leaf. The desired hole to be transferred is located by fitting the teat on the bottom leaf of the hole finder into the existing rivet hole. The hole in the new part is made by drilling through the bushing on the  top  leaf.  If  the  hole  finder  is  properly  made,  holes drilled  in  this  manner  will  be  perfectly  aligned.  A separate  duplicator  must  be  provided  for  each diameter of rivet to be used.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:44:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Somebody is a friggin' genius!  That little tool will make it easy as pie to locate holes.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:49:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I work on Aircraft every day. We have these tools on hand and i never once even concidered useing them for the purpose of AK building

Looks like i got a new use for the "Nut Plate hole finder" thanks - Zap
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:27:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
They are also available from aircraft tool suppliers in several different sizes.

yardstore.com/index.cfm?Action=ViewCategory&Category=135

yardstore.com/photos/SM13056.jpg

What would be the correct size for AK builds?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:53:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Just whiped up this tool tonight and it worked great! Total cost of the tool with the bag of screws was just under $1.60.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:14:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Just whiped up this tool tonight and it worked great! Total cost of the tool with the bag of screws was just under $1.60.  

I'll send you $5 if you make me one!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:21:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd give you $5 for one!! Seriously.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:31:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I made one of these yesterday and used it to do the front trunion holes on my AMD-65...  This tool was simply awsome!!!  I managed to find a set of tweezers with a wide and flat "pinch" surface...  that was the hardest part of making these....

Then I took a piece of scrap steel that I had that was about the diameter of the tweezers and placed it between the two tongs of the tweezer for spacing and drilled a hole through the on the trill press.  I used a #29 drill but as I had the 8-32 tap and plenty of 8-32 screws.

Next I checked the tweezers and when they wre pinched closed the holes were perectly aligned so I pinched the tweezers into the vise and tapped the holes 8-32 and screwed in a 8-32 x 3/8 button head screw....

I had all six of my front trunion holes center punched on my receiver in less than a minute...  this is THE WAY to do front trunion holes when you have the barrel pulled.

Now I need to see how this can be done with the rear trunion holds  

I have pics and I will try to post a link when I get time to get my pics cut down plus I have server space issues as I have about 700MB of photos on my current build so far...  I need to get rid of some and cut them down but I want to keep building when I get a few free hours too...  
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top