Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/11/2005 11:18:26 AM EDT
Ok, having some difficulties with my latest GK project.  I have done GK before and never had any problems, but today seems different.

I KPhos'd first, looked like it does every other time.  I use an automotive type touch up spray gun with my compressor.  I sprayed my first coat of GK (flat black), still everything looks great.  I sit any project that won't fit in my oven on my hot tub cover as it is painful to touch during the peak sun hours.  I have used this sytem before and never had any problems.  I have never thought to test the temperature, I just leave it there for 2 hours and it has always turned out nice.  

Ok, now..  fast forward about 2 hours.  I go to spray on my second coat when it starts to crackle..  While it might have looked cool on some projects, not this one.  It looks horrible.  I ended up using acetone to remove the crackling and removed the first coat too?  Was it just too hot?  Did the parts not cure from the first coating?  WTF?

I am not an absolute follower of GK but it is the only application I have ever used.  Anyone use Duracoat with good results?  How hard is it to use, mixing the hardener?  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:24:01 AM EDT
[#1]
GunKote is a thermoset. It achieves a set at a specified temperature which causes the components in the paint to "melt" together. You could keep it at 175 degrees for a year and it still wouldn't set. The crackling may have been because of the paint components not "gelling" together.
Some did, some didn't.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:10:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I've used Duracoat and Norel's moly-resin.  Both work very well.  I like the Duracoat for projects with parts that won't fit in the kitchen oven (or if my wife is home.  Duracoat requires no pre-heating or baking, and mixing the hardner is very easy to do.  I've used the Norel's on some pistol projects and to refinish a Romanian WASR.  Looks great.

Now, I read some other opinion on this site regarding KG Kote.  Most of it's fans claim it to be more durable and scatch resistant.  I have no personal experience, just what I've heard.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top