Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/9/2005 1:58:38 PM EDT
New to this whole ak/building thing here, so bear with me.  I was drilling out the old rivets on my kit, and I drilled past the rivet into the barrel.  The hole is just barely in the surface of the barrel, and I was wondering if there is a possibility of the barrel still being good.  Its not so much a hole as it is a small divit in the surface of the barrel.  I can post some pictures if you like.

What do you all think?

Russ
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:10:54 PM EDT
[#1]
your barrel is fine.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:03:30 PM EDT
[#2]
if its as you say theres no prob
but its vary had to tell with the barrel still in the trunnion

where are you in OR ?
if your not to far away i can pull the barrel for you and you will know forshure
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:52:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Socandyman, I am in southern oregon not too far from Medford.  How about yourself?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#4]
As the others said, your barrel is OK.  I cant begin to count how many barrels I have seen with dovetails cut in them for rear sights or holes drilled and tapped for sights or old style scope mounts.  But if you can take scman up on his offer, that would be smart.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:25:40 PM EDT
[#5]
when a friend did this then brought it to me, we pressed out barrel pin and then barrel and only one hole could cause problems and that was only because i was concerned the rivit wouldn't reach far enough to set. i went to hardware store and got a 1/8 " ball from thier ball assortment  i put it on l put it on tail of vice covered with a rag and gave it smack with hammer magic i had 2 half balls when superglued in divit in barrel and barrel pressed home the rivit went in and set just like its supposed to. my friend was worried about barrel so we pressed back out and the half ball fell out in one piece and there was noe decernable marks anywhere on barrel. i don't think you have to worry unless you get a drill throuh to chamber and thats not a real diaster as there are lots of barrels for sale cheap.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:26:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
when a friend did this then brought it to me, we pressed out barrel pin and then barrel and only one hole could cause problems and that was only because i was concerned the rivit wouldn't reach far enough to set. i went to hardware store and got a 1/8 " ball from thier ball assortment  i put it on l put it on tail of vice covered with a rag and gave it smack with hammer magic i had 2 half balls when superglued in divit in barrel and barrel pressed home the rivit went in and set just like its supposed to. my friend was worried about barrel so we pressed back out and the half ball fell out in one piece and there was noe decernable marks anywhere on barrel. i don't think you have to worry unless you get a drill throuh to chamber and thats not a real diaster as there are lots of barrels for sale cheap.

Capitalization and punctuation are your friends.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top