Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/8/2005 10:21:32 PM EDT
I have a maddi and would like to refinish it. What is the best way to get all the old paint off? Can I sand blast it or should I use some sort of chemical stripper?

Thanks guys!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:26:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I'd sand blast it with something like 70 to 90 grit aluminum oxide.  I'm sure others will tell you that they've had good luck with chemical stipper though but I've always blasted myself.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:33:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Walmart, and Home Depot stores have cheap, siphon feed sand blasters for sale (Usually for under $25.00).  If you have access to a compressor, you're all set.  I use very fine Black Beauty (Available at good hardware stores) to refinish my projects.  RTC
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:53:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Sandblast + reparkerize it. That always the way to go IMHO
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:33:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Walmart, and Home Depot stores have cheap, siphon feed sand blasters for sale (Usually for under $25.00).  If you have access to a compressor, you're all set.  I use very fine Black Beauty (Available at good hardware stores) to refinish my projects.  RTC

The only problem with cheap home siphon feed blasters is it will take a long time to do it. Also if you are not wearing the propper type of protective gear the dust will harm your lungs and eyes.  Find yourself  A local sandblasting facility, for about the same money you could have it done while you wait.  I used to blast all types of firearms at a local facility here in Indianapolis. I remember the most expensive job done was $30.00 and that was for a M2 HB .50 MG, The customer had made an apointment so he could wait while the work was being done.  Also if you are givin an opportunity to pick what type meadia is to be used in the stripping process, go with an aluminum oxide. It leaves a better profile for the new finish to adhear to. Glassbeading will leave a less agressive profle and some people belive it will not leave a strong enough profile for the new finish. Now if you dont want the metal of you firearm to be eched in any way shape or form go with a plastic media if will only remove paint, and it will not etch the steel it will however ping aluminum if shot at a high psi. Black Beauty is coal slag, its used primarly in sand blasting bridges, and other outside blasting projects.  We never used it in house, but we sold alot of it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I used something called aircraft remover (or something like that)  from pepboys I think.  It was  pain, but it worked.  You have to scrub with a tooth brush or something like it though.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top