Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2005 9:31:51 AM EDT
Hey guys,
Well i've seen alot of posts on ways to do it. So now i'm adding my .02  I was sitting in the garage contemplating a new buld last night. Came down to the old question how do i put those darn rails in. I traced out a set of rails onto some thin cardboard. I lined them up on the outside of the receiver where they would naturally sit and traced it to the side of the receiver. I made another line about 1/8 of a inch from the top of the rail. Next i used my dremel to cut a channel into the side of the reciever where the rail will make contact on the inside. once the channel was cut and cleaned up i jigged in the rail using vice-grips and some welding clamps. once everythign was lined up i tack welded the rails through the reciever. Removed the vice-grips and clamps and continued filling the channel  with my mig welder. Once i finished welding the rails in it i took it to the grinder and ground the weld meat from the outisde of the reciever. THIS PROCESS WORKED GREAT!!. I am going to do another reciever or two tonight and will post pictures of the entire process.

If you dont have access to a spot welder i think this might be the answer some of us have been looking for!

Thanks for looking and i'll post some pictures this evening. - Zap
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:41:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I generally drill 3 holes in the receiver for each rail then plug weld with my arc welder.  Works great.  Generally the same thing as you are doing.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top