Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2005 6:55:12 AM EDT
Here's the thing, I have never built a gun before in my life. Also, I don't have alot of tools (a few screwdrivers, a pair of plier, some allen wrenches and a hammer). I don't want this to turn into a project that sits in the closet half completed. Is building an AK something that is difficult to do? Do you need alot of tools to do it?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:08:51 AM EDT
[#1]
No, just the name of a good builder.

By the time you bought all the tools needed to build one gun, you will have paid much more than a builder would charge to do it for you.

I think the price break starts about the third weapon you build and that's only for the basic tools.  I think I have as much on tooling now than I have in kits. (must buy more tools - never have too many tools)
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:20:24 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are only thinking about building one, I would say, go buy a finished rifle.

"Is building an AK something that is difficult to do?"
Like most things, not difficult if you know how. You can learn to do it with enough research.

"Do you need alot of tools to do it?"
More than what you have now. It just wouldn't be cost effective to buy the tools you need for one build.

Buy one from a good reputable dealer and you'll be happier in the long run.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:43:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you are only thinking about building one, I would say, go buy a finished rifle.

"Is building an AK something that is difficult to do?"
Like most things, not difficult if you know how. You can learn to do it with enough research.

"Do you need alot of tools to do it?"
More than what you have now. It just wouldn't be cost effective to buy the tools you need for one build.

Buy one from a good reputable dealer and you'll be happier in the long run.

+1   Kits aren't cheap by the time you aquire the necessary compliance parts, tools and finishing products - Figure at least $300 for a "cheap kit" plus parts.  Then add in about $500 for tools (maybe alittle more).  Aint nothing 'cheap' about building your own AK.

Finally, if you already bought that 'cheap' kit send it to me and I'll properly dispose of it.  

DON'T pay to have a kit built for you.  Just BUY one Ready to go at Auctionarms.com or gunbroker.com.   Really, no joke.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#4]
pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK/docs/construction/construction.htm
i dont believe that you need to spend 500 to build an ak, its a little more difficult this way- as i'm learning, but its not 500 dollars worth of difficulty. screw builds are definately the easiest thing and the cheapest. it depends what you want to do.

read pookies website. nuff said.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top