Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2005 3:16:53 PM EDT
Since my hand is fairly big , I don't quite like the feel of my AKs. I decided to make my own grip to get a fuller feeling. Anyone ever make their own? What wood species did you use. I have one about 60% done right now and beore I do the detail work, I wanted to get some input.

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#1]
This is the build forum.....are there no DIYers here?

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:57:18 PM EDT
[#2]
man. thats looking really good.
are you going to make the rest of the wood set to match it or are you just going to dye it and match it up. what kind of wood did you use to do that?

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:11:22 PM EDT
[#3]
The front grip is a real Thompson part, I carved the pistol grip from a piece of Sugar Maple.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:52:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:14:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I made some and they were not hard to make.   I have used cherry , walnut ,pear and red oak.  Pear is my favorite, easy to stain to match and finishs smooth as ivory.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:27:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Tha looks great. I just had some work done on my MAK and the grip now protrudes past the end of the angle cut reciever.  This looks like a good solution.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:17:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The front grip is a real Thompson part, I carved the pistol grip from a piece of Sugar Maple.

photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=6693&iGalleryUnq=11&iImageUnq=35204

awesome.....that's what I'm talking about.

I've stained the forearm as you can see in the picture. What wood should I use to get the same finish? The oak grip pictured was for process development and practice.

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:54:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Baltic Birch Plywood..same stuff used on laminated stocks.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:31:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Do you know where I can get some that is 1" thick? I can get 3/4 locally but that is too thin. Maybe I can laminate 2 half inch pieces together in my vaccum press.

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:12:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Yup, I done some too.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:45:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yup, I done some too.
forum.saiga-12.com/uploads/post-6-1122855671.jpg

that butt stock looks different too, did you make it/have a pic of it too?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:38:01 PM EDT
[#12]
IBTJ!

(in before the jugrunner)  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:52:40 PM EDT
[#13]
In oak bomber??  I have some 12/4 walnut blanks if you want to try one.  Could also laminate up some blanks..  maybe alternating specis??  sounds interesting..  

NEW PROJECT....
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:53:49 PM EDT
[#14]
opps..  

was this just another opportunity to whore out pics of your new M92?

TheBomber  =   Show off
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:00:36 PM EDT
[#15]
damn, that's some niec wood work.
i got some acraglass gell from Brownells and just gooped it on mine.
then dremmeled it down smooth.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:18:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
opps..  

was this just another opportunity to whore out pics of your new M92?

TheBomber  =   Show off

Show off what? LOL....these pics belong in your portfolio. In case you're wondering, LB and I live near each other and he rescued me by showing me how to (code for actually doing) build an AK.

So you're diss'in oak? I thought I was doing an Adolf Morris or Stickley version.

Like I said, the oak was the only thing i had readily available in 5/4. I'm going to laminate up some baltic birch ply this weekend and "do it right"

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Sounds good...  just busting your...  well you know..

Birch would be easy to match to your HG's..  I am going to laminate up some oak/walnut blanks..  and maybe do up some birch too..

I will PM you with a hosted pic
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top