Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2005 10:27:43 AM EDT
Just to let you guys know.  BentMetal is now shipping their Yugo/RPK blanks - mine arrived in today's mail  Not sure I'd use one for a Yugo since I'd have to make the press dies for all the missing dimples (I've made most of them already for other projects) but since I am using these for RPK builds, the only dimple they really need is for the mag well and I have that one.  These things are really nice looking - smooth, flat, no distortions, professional bends,etc.  So, if you have the capability to finish a raw blank, I highly recomend these.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:21:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Pics damnit pics... Please????

Some RPKs do not have mag wel dimples..
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:07:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Exactly.  That is the only reason I'm using a blank - since I don't have to press the dimples.  I was referring to the mag "well" dimple at the front of the magazine well, not the dimples on the side of the receiver.  Did I get confused again :)

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:21:33 PM EDT
[#3]
While waiting to see if Chris at Greenlight Arms comes through???????.......I just happened to think: (yes it hurt my brain a little bit, but I couldn't avoid it).....Since you can press or stamp a dimple in the receiver, why couldn't you make a jig or stamping die to expand the front end of a Global reciever to fit the M70. The first problem I can see is the Global is already hardened, but could you anneal the top front and stretch the metal ? I'm anxious to get started. Almost to the point of splicing the Global receiver to the top bulged piece of the m70's remaining receiver stub. I know someone has already done this....welded them together. The other option is milling down the raised portion of the M70's trunnion....I know....I know.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:08:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Speaking of Chris at Greenlight Arms.....actually, no I was not waiting for a complete receiver - I prefer to build myself since I do have a small machine shop in my workshop :)

Now, about all the dimples......I have the press jigs to press the swells for the RPK type receivers.  However, I initially designed them to be used once the top rails were bent.  I designed them to be used with one of Chris's flat jigs that I am still waiting on or I would have scratch built the receiver.  I've been waiting for sometime on the jig so I caved and bought the blanks from BentMetal.

There is that whole already hardened thing with the Global's to contend with.  Would make them quite a bit more expensive although it would be worth it to be able to get one ready to go.  I had thought about making a bunch of receivers for these but to be honest, I thought it was too much trouble....hopefully Chris will iron out all his problems...seems he's had more than his share.

I finished up about half the work on the receiver yesterday - soon as my son gets back from the big city with the rest of my tooling, I can do the rest of it.....
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:19:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
While waiting to see if Chris at Greenlight Arms comes through???????.......I just happened to think: (yes it hurt my brain a little bit, but I couldn't avoid it).....Since you can press or stamp a dimple in the receiver, why couldn't you make a jig or stamping die to expand the front end of a Global reciever to fit the M70. The first problem I can see is the Global is already hardened, but could you anneal the top front and stretch the metal ? I'm anxious to get started. Almost to the point of splicing the Global receiver to the top bulged piece of the m70's remaining receiver stub. I know someone has already done this....welded them together. The other option is milling down the raised portion of the M70's trunnion....I know....I know.

They are available now......I have the FIRST one ever built!!

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:57:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Certainly easier and cheaper to buy one -  but I prefer to build myself - since I can.

here's what I did yesterday.  Today, tomorrow, whenever, I'll build the vise jig to hold the blank on it's side.

RPK build
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top