I'm only going to be doing a few recievers and I've been able to borrow
a spot welder, and hate to spend any more money than I have to on a tool
thats not mine, so does anyone think that 5/8 copper tubing will work for
the lower tong mod? or how about a 5/8 steel rod? as I got plenty of both
laying around, also hate to fry this thing, cost more than the arc welder
I've been using to attach the rails.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I have seen pics where someone had used smashed copper tubing, I don't know if I would try it though...  I see alot of odd things on the net....  It was over on Gunco, might want to drop over there and ask..
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:39:57 PM EDT
[#2]
dont use steel you will weld it in place. you could try some large gauge copper wire soildered solid then shaped
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:32:07 PM EDT
[#3]
5/8" solid copper rod from McMaster/Carr costs around $15. You can use a belt sander to shape the rod  suitable for welding the rails inside the receiver. That's what I used anyway!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:40:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
5/8" solid copper rod from McMaster/Carr costs around $15. You can use a belt sander to shape the rod  suitable for welding the rails inside the receiver. That's what I used anyway!

yeah D, I looked at those, and I found a 2' copper grounding rod at ace for a few dollars more, but I was just trying to be frugal, since I got this other stuff laying around not being used, and you know how cheap I can be at times, seen some rivets while I was there also, the heads are flat, but I think they can be shaped pretty easily, going to try one in the cross member and see how it works.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:05:51 AM EDT
[#5]
You could fill up a copper pipe with solder or lead at the end and use it. like someone suggested. That would be cheaper!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:44:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
yeah D, I looked at those, and I found a 2' copper grounding rod at ace for a few dollars more, but I was just trying to be frugal, since I got this other stuff laying around not being used, and you know how cheap I can be at times, seen some rivets while I was there also, the heads are flat, but I think they can be shaped pretty easily, going to try one in the cross member and see how it works.

Keep in mind copper ground rods are only copper clad over solid steel. It may not work the way you want it to.

Dont be cheap just get a piece of sold copper
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:54:49 AM EDT
[#7]
well so much for trying to be cheap, thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:52:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
well so much for trying to be cheap, thanks for the input.

That ain't being cheap, its being frugal! I started to get a copper pipe, flatten it with a mallet part of the way, fill it with lead solder or just plain lead. Once filled, you have to drill and tap it for the electrode tip.
I figured by the time I went to all that effort, it was just more effecient to get the copper bar.
L., or anybody else that was at the flat bending party, I'll get the welder back to the house and you are more than welcome to come over and weld in the rails.
Wingman showed up and we did his rails!
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top